£ per mile

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Must be having a slow Sunday but decided to calculate the cost of additional food for powering my bike.

Using my total mileage (10,000) with an average of 15mph for all use its work out that my bike 'engine' uses 0.18 McDonalds Hamburgers per mile, at a cost of 12 pence.

Not bad eh?

For those a little better off, you might choose to source your calories from royal beluga caviar at a cost of £185 per mile.

mmm I'm hungry...

Comments

• tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    reckon its a slow sunday :D
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    My Volkswagen does 62 MPG.

£1.38 a litre of diesel = £5.80 a gallon.

Cost per mile = 9.3 pence!

Even if you take burgers into account, i'm still up!

You, sir, should consider yourself served!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Meh. Switch to eating butter instead of eating burgers and watch your calorie cost plummet

Edit: Silly phpBB... Bad linky!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wasn't expecting my engine to cost more than a Veedub!

Butter or lard it is!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The costs for the car don't include the depreciation, taxes, insurance, repairs and MOT's I would imagine.
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    Paul E wrote:
    The costs for the car don't include the depreciation, taxes, insurance, repairs and MOT's I would imagine.

You're right... Better borrow someone else's car!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Duffer wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

You're right... Better borrow someone else's car!

It's why I sold mine, it's caused me too much pain.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    My VW does 35mpg and it's £2 to park in the "park n ride"

Therefore the cost of getting to Taunton and back to work by car- which I actually do 99% of the time on the bike - is about £7.50

A few weeks ago I fitted some Michelin Pro3 tyres on the summer commute bike. I had got them cheap from chainreaction and was looking forward to a few summer months of high speed commuting. Pro3 ride like a magic carpet, grip like glue and are as fast as stink.
    5509149018_732677ac0b_b.jpg
    orangtyres summer fast commute bike with Orange Pro3 fitted

Unfortunately after only 3 days of riding on the Pro3, the rear one ran over a large sharp, exploded and gained a huge split

Even so, as I'd got the Pro3 for £15 I am still ahead of the game

The VW has an MOT next week and needs a new battery
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Hmmmm.... Just worked out my cost of cycling on the back of an envelope; this just factors in stuff which wears out relatively quickly (ie nothing for depreciation of frame or chainset). Definitely doesn't include new shiny things, or lightweight kit for racing...

Light batteries: 0.2p per mile (daylight miles included in calculation)
    Chains: 1.3p per mile
    Brake blocks: 0.5p per mile
    Rims: 1p per mile
    Tyres: 2.3p per mile
    Cassettes: 1p per mile
    Clothing: 3p per mile
    Computer bits: 1p per mile (stupid "disposable" wireless sensors)

Just over 10p per mile!

Never done the sums before; suprised to realise that batteries form such a small fraction of the overall cost, and that tyres are such a large proportion...

Trialling some new tyres, hopefully they'll bring the cost down a bit!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I get paid 20p a mile for using my bike at work - does this make me a professional cyclist
  • I get paid 20p a mile for using my bike at work - does this make me a professional cyclist

no.

just jammy like me :)
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I get paid 20p a mile for using my bike at work - does this make me a professional cyclist
    HMRC have raised the mileage allowance for cars from 40p to 45p, they kept the cycle rate at 20p :evil: My "fuel" and maintenance costs have risen a lot since the last adjustment (2003) and should be recognised with a higher allowance. Not exactly a "green transport" policy, is it? Car is king!
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    alfablue wrote:
    HMRC have raised the mileage allowance for cars from 40p to 45p, they kept the cycle rate at 20p :evil: My "fuel" and maintenance costs have risen a lot since the last adjustment (2003) and should be recognised with a higher allowance. Not exactly a "green transport" policy, is it? Car is king!

hmm - not wanting to p1ss on a bonfire or anything but suspect the cost of driving a car may have increased somewhat more rapidly than the cost of cycling over the same period....
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    There are deduction to think about for me.

Gym Memership no longer needed - 11.6p per mile
    Public Transport - 30p per mile

So providing the cost of bike, maintenance, parts, clothing, and extra food do not exceed 41.6p per mile I'm saving money.

Looking at it like this I should be quids in, in practice I seem to spend all that I save.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    Sketchley wrote:
    ... I should be quids in, in practice I seem to spend all that I save.

+1

Cost savings were a big influence over my decision to start cycling to work. Dont think they have really materialised but I got a nice toy with lots of shiny bits from wiggle :-)
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    iclestu wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

hmm - not wanting to p1ss on a bonfire or anything but suspect the cost of driving a car may have increased somewhat more rapidly than the cost of cycling over the same period....
    I'm not really concerned about the rise in cost of car driving, indeed the fuel duty escalator was intended to make it more expensive to drive so to disinsentivise car use. The raising of the tax free allowance for car mileage whilst not raising the bike mileage allowance has the reverse effect.