Forest of Dean

Jenks66
Jenks66 Posts: 96
edited June 2011 in Routes
Lots of trail work going on at FOD but can only find very limited info on what is being done, have heard that is a 7 mile Blue grade or a 10 mile Red and there is to be a skills area.

Looks good so far but love to know what the plans are and when it is planned to be finished

Comments

• thefod
    thefod Posts: 19
    some info here @ thefod.co.uk
    thanks
    Ant.
    thefod.co.uk - Your guide to Mountain Biking in the Forest of Dean
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    What is the general consensus of the Forest of Dean as a trail centre?

A friend, who doesn't bike that much, is pushing to go there for a days biking as its near his house. Looking at the trail guides, the singletrack trail is only 2.5km long! Looks to be loads of downhills, but we won't be kitted up with body armour. I don't mind a bit of downhill as long as its not too hardcore, but a couple in our group would be put off.

I'm just wondering if it is worth the effort or not?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Jenks66
    Jenks66 Posts: 96
    FODCA trail is a 30-40 min ride uless your super fit, a nice little trail.
    Some (have not riden them all so cannot comment on them) of the down hill trails are ridable by most as you can go round most of the jumps. I stear clear of these during peak periods as they can get very busy and dont want to spoil anyones run or look a total prat :oops:
    There are loads of unmarked trails but you would need to search these out but well worth it
    From mid July the new trail should be ready with is about 7 miles of way marked trail which is looking promissing so far.
  • whiter74
    whiter74 Posts: 69
    Best attributes of the FoD is being able to explore the endless amounts of single track on offer. The Freeminer trail and soon new Verderers are good for intermediate/beginner XC. The more regular riders may find them a little tame and short compared to some of the more well known trail centres. The Downhill runs are all rideable but getting blown out, In need of some TLC but still good fun. So to get the best you need to explore or hook up with a local.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i ignore the Xc trail much better 20 minutes down the road in wales, but the Dh is brilliant fun and you cn push up faster than the uplift van which is awesome.

The DH is pretty good and there is a fair few tracks varying from the fairly easy to the steeper more middle ground stuff :)
  • shaunlfc1
    shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
    I am thinking of going to the FOD in a couple of weeks, are all the "unofficial" trails easy to find or is it just a case of seeing something and exploring it?

Also is there some good campsites nearby?

Many thanks,

Shaun
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    There are plenty off DH trails that are easily spooted, as for the XC no idea, didn't bother with looking with it.
  • whiter74
    whiter74 Posts: 69
    Officially outside the Cannop / sallovallets area the FC don’t like you riding.
    However all the best single track and descents are found outside this area, but most of them are not easy to find. There’s plenty of routes and points of interest to be found on the WWW but most of them you'll need a GPS to then find.
    If your there for just a day, then the sallovallets area will cater for most riders.

In terms of camping, here's some
    http://thefod.co.uk/#/links/4544489779
    The Fountain Inn & Lodge is recommended and close to cannop.