The ultimate chain/lock combo with portability in mind?

luckythirt33n
luckythirt33n Posts: 4
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Hi everyone :)

I'm currently getting back into MTB'ing, and after riding around on a fairly cheap bike that I've worn out in no time, I'm looking to upgrade.

The only thing is, the last two nice bikes I had were stolen within weeks of buying them. Unless anyone can point me another way, standard cycle locks seem to be terrible when put up against a pair of bolt crops.

To cut a long story short, I had a Suzuki DRZ-400 motorbike, fully kitted out that a LOT of chavs tried to take every day or two. After shelling out £85 on an Oxford Hardcore, I actually caught a very small kid cropping it in seconds.
After some research, I bought an Almax chain and loved seeing the little scrotes try to get past it nightly for a couple of weeks before they gave up.

I've since moved to an area where the crime rate is much lower, but would still like that peace of mind. Unless there's anyone here who can tell me otherwise, an Almax chain would probably be too heavy to carry around with me. I've also not found any frame bag that looks like it could handle the weight of one.

So, what do you use to secure your expensive bike with? I'll obviously be taking out insurance, but would hate to have a 3rd bike stolen. Money is no object, just looking for something practical and very strong.

Sorry to ramble on, but any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Portable and tough don't go together I am afraid! Unless you carry 19mm chain, big bolt croppers will just about have them all. I'd get what the insurance recommend.
  • Thanks, I thought as much! Looks like I'll have to find a way to lug around an almighty Alxmax!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    So, what do you use to secure your expensive bike with?

Prevention beats cure..
    Two of my bikes reside in my study, the 3rd in my guest bedroom. It just means cleaning them properly after every ride. Simple, no chains or worry
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    When you say you're getting into MTBing, why would you need a lock?

However if you're commuting to work or just going to shops then the obvious answer is don't use an expensive bike for that.

Or do you mean when you're locking it away at home, if so that depends on where you're storing it.
  • luckythirt33n
    luckythirt33n Posts: 4
    edited April 2011
    Prevention beats cure..
    Two of my bikes reside in my study, the 3rd in my guest bedroom. It just means cleaning them properly after every ride. Simple, no chains or worry[/quote]

I'm not so much worried at home, as the place where I live has the most secure underground garage I've ever seen. Even superbikes down there are not left locked up.
    It's more while I'm travelling around, such as leaving it outside shops and in car parks. I know it's not ideal to do so, but as well as trail riding, I tend to ride everywhere rather than drive.

I've noticed an Abus Granit Extreme U lock for around £180, but could get an almax with a quality padlock for that kind of money. I'll have to look around for a tough frame bag or see how comfortable it is in my Camelbak I think.

Briggo, I do all kinds of riding every day and my fairly cheap bike (still £300) has not coped well at all. I would rather have the reliability of a more expensive bike so I'm not left stranded miles from home.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a cheap rat bike then. will cost less than a suitable lock and chain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

Briggo, I do all kinds of riding every day and my fairly cheap bike (still £300) has not coped well at all. I would rather have the reliability of a more expensive bike so I'm not left stranded miles from home.

Perhaps look into learning maintenance a little better then? £300 bikes should not be failing left right and centre.

I still wouldn't take a £300 bike around commuting/shops etc, as Nicklouse said some crappy bike will do and if it gets nicked hey ho.

Also factor in that the lock, whichever it may be can only lock up your frame. An allen key can have most parts off a bike very quickly if you want to take an expensive bike everywhere...