Carbon frame…is it worth the big $$$?

SFBrodie
SFBrodie Posts: 9
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Or is it mostly hype?

I’m in the market for a new/used bike and my friends are telling me I need to get a carbon frame. I’m not Lance Armstrong or Chris McCormack (I’m not going to win.) I’m just Brodie who loves riding, participates in triathlons and yes, an occasional ironman. My 10 year old LeMond seemed to be just fine with its “old” equipment and carried me many miles (had an accident…time to upgrade:))

Now I must say I’ve never rode 100 miles on a carbon frame….so perhaps you’re thinking I’m nuts and yes, a carbon frame is the only way to go.

I would basically like a little feedback before I put down the extra $$$ for a carbon bike.
Thanks!!

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    The choice of frame material may depend to a certain degree on your budget, as well as your needs. You can get equally good frames in steel, aluminium, titanium as well as carbon.

...but, (very broad-brush statement) most 'good' frames these days are made of carbon.

A new bike should ideally feel stiffer (where needed), be more compliant (to soak up road buzz) and be lighter than your old LeMond.
    Cycling weakly
  • bikermag
    bikermag Posts: 8
    Buy yourself a cannondale caad9.
    No need for a carbon frame when you can buy this without breaking the bank! Cannondales aluminium frames way out perform many other carbon frames on the market. I have one so am maybe a little biased, but have nothing but good things to say about it! An extremely comfortable ride!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    bikermag wrote:
    Buy yourself a cannondale caad9.
    No need for a carbon frame when you can buy this without breaking the bank! Cannondales aluminium frames way out perform many other carbon frames on the market. I have one so am maybe a little biased, but have nothing but good things to say about it! An extremely comfortable ride!

+1 But I'm also biased :lol:

I must admit I'm getting my head around Carbon frames now. Any new bike "might" be carbon, but I still hanker for a steel frame.

I'm trying to keep my eye out for more reports on those cheap CF frames (FM028 frameset) that many have bought. So far, I've only read good things.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Rebound
    Rebound Posts: 1
    Agree on the Cannondale aluminium frames. Now at CAAD10. Very comfortable ride
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or if you want carbon, try one from HongFu or Dengfu (CarbonZone on eBay) for cheaper than many aluminium frames!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Can you define worth? i.e. what would the extra $$$ have to buy you in order to be worth it?
    The first ride on my first carbon frame was a little underwhelming as I had the expectation of great things - after all I'd spent a lot of money, so I was hoping for something 'different'. or special. In reality, there wasn't a huge difference . After a few months riding though , I came to realise that what I was paying for ultimately, was comfort. Of course, i the carbon frame was lighter, but my alu frame would cause me some serious discomfort after 80 miles, whereas the carbon frame did not. That was it. In fact, the damping charateristics of carbon mean that I often choose my alu bike for a short ride as it gives a lot more feedback, has a feeling of being connected to the road that the carbon bike doesn't. Still wouldn't ride it a long distance though :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A badly fitting carbon bike will be worse than your current one.
    Carbon can make nice comfy bikes but they can also make really uncomfortable ones too.
    Just because it's carbon doesn't make it better - and there's no needs to spend thousands on a frame either. There is a lot if hype out there and you need to test ride.
  • JKHinton
    JKHinton Posts: 70
    There are a lot of crap carbon frames on the market at the moment. :cry: IMO stick with alu or steel, the benefits of these carbon framed bikes to the average road bike rider is all hype :roll:
    Cannondale make a great alu framed bike.
  • I think carbon is great if you have a lot of money and want to splurge on a bike or if you want the top spec bike on the market, but they aren't really necessary, especially given their price premium over other bikes.

Using the CAAD10 as an example, you can get a great light and stiff alu frame with high spec components for basically half the price of a carbon frame with the same spec. You are looking at paying hundreds to thousands more for a really good carbon frame, so it is up to your individual wants and needs to determine if it is worth the extra cost.

Personally, I would rather save the money on the frame, get the highest spec components I can with a nice set of wheels. But I don't find the ride of my alu frames to be uncomfortable and they are very stiff frames, and I would rather have dependable components that work well than a lower spec bike that is a bit lighter.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Have a look at some Scandium frames. As light as carbon and a lot cheaper, my current frame is made from this (owned for six years) and when it comes to replacement time I will go for the same again.

Comfort is all down to geometry and tyre choice, the legendary damping qualities of certain materials is all in the head.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    skyd0g wrote:
    The choice of frame material may depend to a certain degree on your budget, as well as your needs. You can get equally good frames in steel, aluminium, titanium as well as carbon.

Absolutely 100% this. In fact sticky this.

The only thing I would add is that just remember that it's the rider that makes the ride far more than the bike. The bike doesn't climb up hills itself! So if you're a fat knacker (that's a general comment - not directed at the OP) then stop dodging the salad and you'll see a huge improvement as the lbs fall off.