Shimano M570 rear hub question

andysayle
andysayle Posts: 2
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Good morning all,

After my first daughter was born last year, my bike has been sat languishing in my garage for a year. I have come to rebuild it now so I can commute to work on it (a sort of hybrid bike that can withstand a few easy singletrack trails as well as the roads on the journey to work). I need to replace the rear mech, and shifters, and I was wondering about fitting a 9 speed setup instead of the current knackered 8 speed.

I have a Shimano M570 (LX) rear freehub of 2006 vintage, which is in excellent condition indeed, but I can't seem to find out whether it is compatible with both 8 speed and 9 speed cassettes/mechs etc. I don't suppose anyone happens to know whether it would do they?

The Shimano techdoc website only has the exploded partslist for the hub, and although it states it is a 9 speed, I'm not sure if it is the part I have (as mine has an 8 speed cassette on it). If it is compatible with both, that would be great, but if someone could confirm that, I would be most grateful!

Cheers
Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it will take 9spd.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As Nick intimates, 9and 8 speed freehibs are the same, the narrower gear pitch of the 9 speed means the 9 speed cassette is the same depth as an 8 speed.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.