Felt F5

Nevereverland
Nevereverland Posts: 44
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this bike, or any thoughts on it?

I'm a 1st time road bike buyer. The 2010 F3 (same frame/fork as the F5) was the 2010 Cycling+ bike of the yr. The 2011 model is only 7.9kg with 105 and entry wheels, so is very upgradeable! (900g frame, 300ish fork)

It's not too bad looking either..
FeltF5.jpg

I was originally looking at the Giant TCR Advanced 2010, which is 1850e. However, Im a medium, and the smaller Giant bikes seem to have a bigger slope in the top tube, and Im not mad on the look.

I was also looking at the Wilier Izoard Petacchi, a lovely lovely looking bike. However, at 2200 its more expensive. Not overly mad on Campag Veloce. Also, the frame is 300g heavier than the felt, and fork over 100. Cycling pursuits are selling the Silver/White Izoard for 1550, so I dont know if I could justify 700 for a paint job!

I plan on buying a frame some time in the future for a winter/commuting bike, and would transfer the components from this over. That frame would be more sportive based, so I want this to be a really fast, racey bike.

Any opinions? Any kind of feedback/chat welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• I have one. Get it. 2011 Felt F5. You cannot find any carbon frame that weigh 907grams for that price. Mine is equipped with SRAM Red and FSA K-Force SB25 seatpost, FSA OS99 CSI 110mm stem and FSA K-Force compact 42cm. and Ksyrium Elite.
  • Oh and the carbon fork weigh about 398grams. My frame weigh 905grams. That's the bare frame.[/img]
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    IYou cannot find any carbon frame that weigh 907grams for that price.

Planet X Nanolight hi-mod. Mine was 919 grams with cable adjusters and cost £499 for the frameset.
  • Thanks for the replies.

lonewolf, have you taken the weight of the whole bike?

A set up like yours is something that I'd like some time in the future!
  • A great frame, from a great company with great support, but let down by inadequate wheels and remember that the cassette is 11-25, so not so much help with the hills a some. It was on my shortest of short lists but didn't win the day. The Cannondale Supersix 105 edged the Felt out because of its 11-28, but then fell off the (bike)radar because of so many reports of poor customer service/ attention to warranty probs. The Storck Scenero won the day.
  • plife
    plife Posts: 97
    My choice came down Felt F5 and Cannondale Super Six 105. Can't get the Cannondale until July at the earliest so put in an order for the F5. Still waiting on the F5 and the replacement forks to be sorked out!!
    Boardman FS Pro 2010
    Felt F5 2011
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    plife wrote:
    My choice came down Felt F5 and Cannondale Super Six 105. Can't get the Cannondale until July at the earliest so put in an order for the F5. Still waiting on the F5 and the replacement forks to be sorked out!!

You can get the Cannondale before then - buy it from Primera. I gave up on Evans in the end, their delivery date slipped from Jan to Mar to Apr to May to Jul :(
  • I tried a Supersix 105 size 60 at Evans West End and found it fitted, whereas I was expecting to need a 58. The geometry seems a little different from the Felt, requiring the larger size. I also found the size 60 available right now through Edinburgh Cycles (it's actually arriving at Newcastle store today). Maybe there is the right size for you out there somewhere? That said, the attention to warranty issues really put me off.
  • plife
    plife wrote:

You can get the Cannondale before then - buy it from Primera. I gave up on Evans in the end, their delivery date slipped from Jan to Mar to Apr to May to Jul :(
    I am getting it on a Halfords cycle to work voucher. Both Halfords and Leisure Lakes quoted June!
    Boardman FS Pro 2010
    Felt F5 2011
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Heavenfire wrote:
    That said, the attention to warranty issues really put me off.

Can you expand on this please? I've not been made aware of any issues.
  • Heavenfire wrote:
    That said, the attention to warranty issues really put me off.

Can you expand on this please? I've not been made aware of any issues.

I read about warranty issues being a problem with Cannondale here on bikeradar (I think). I don't have a record of the thread, but a search for Cannondale Supersix 105 is likely to bring it up. I've also spoken with staff at 3 different bike shops, all of which sell Cannondale, who have told me (in the most diplomatic of terms) that Cannondale's response time to warranty problems is slow (having to go through a European office). One told me that last year's Cannondales had a higher-than average problem with loose bottom brackets. I'd suggest not making too much of this issue, as it is only anecdotal and, as Cannondale does seem to be a great company, I wouldn't want to be too negative. For me though, it was something I didn't want to risk.
  • The faulty fork is after putting me off this one, think ill start looking for a new one...
  • The faulty fork is after putting me off this one, think ill start looking for a new one...

no .. not for candles .. (apologies to the Two Ronnies) .. The F5's fork handles .. or so I read elsewhere - i.e. I understand that the fork issue is now solved ... ? I'd be more concerned about the basic wheels ...
  • I dont know if it is solved or not, but I know that the main dealers in Ireland still do not have them in stock, and I contacted a couple of other shops that sold them, and they said that they wouldn't be surprised if they didnt come back.
  • plife
    The fork issue is resolved, and to be fair to Felt they seemed to be very proactive in recalling the bikes and getting it sorted. No issues from owners actaully reported. The replacement OE forks are starting to be shipped and Saddleback expect to be getting these this weeks, with the bikes starting to go out shortly after.
    Boardman FS Pro 2010
    Felt F5 2011
  • I was planning on getting the cannondale Super Six 105 but have decided on teh Felt for the same reason as some others - delivery time. I spoke to a dealer today who quoted 23rd June 2011 at the earliest, I got my brand new car quicker than that. They really do need to work out their supply issues.

I'm going to get the Felt sized and ordered on Saturday and will be swapping my 6700 shifters and brakes (both only a month or so old) along with my Fulcrum Racing 1's from my Specialized Tarmac Comp to the Felt once it's here. Should be quite a nice ride then!

Anyone got any experience with the saddle they fit? I LOVE the Specialized Toupe that is fitted to the Tarmac.

Rich