Where to ride in North of England?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited April 2011 in Routes
Righto, there's a bank holiday looming and Northwind's got nowt to do... So I'm thinking I might do a quick border raid... Looking for interesting, reasonably challenging riding- proper blacks, or dark reds ;) Doesn't have to be trail centres, but I'll be solo and I don't have a great sense of direction so if I'm going off waymarked routes it has to be damn good ;)

Lee Quarry and Dalby are the two places that have got my attention most... Newcastleton and Kielder I can do from home easily enough. Lake District I'm sure has what I'm after but I expect it'll be busy?

Oh, will be staying off more extreme stuff on this trip as I'll have nobody to pick me up or drive me home ;)

So... Tell me what to think o internet
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• it probably will be pretty busy in the lakes, but if you can avoid the busier tourist traps like keswick and ambleside you will still be able to find some decent riding with not too many red socks around.

whinlatter is a good shout as well, if you add in the blue loop to the 2 reds there is enough riding to keep you occupied for most of a day.
  • Why not see if anyone is doing anything here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/

They are very North of England. And very friendly to boot. :wink:
  • I've got a couple of routes and videos that my interest you. Take a look:

http://www.nemountainbikeroutes.co.uk/m ... lcome.html

Stu
  • There are plenty of parts of the Lakes that are cracking for biking and without hordes of walkers. Also the Dales.
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    if you dont want it to busy,id give dalby a miss,its normally busy at a weekend as it is,but will be even more so this weekend,specially if it keeps warm as there will be plenty of bbq's going on.

the dales and moors have some great rides,we are doing the bainbridge bash on monday,up in the dales.
  • will2580
    will2580 Posts: 86
    Dalby!
    commencal meta 5.5.3
  • As altern said - Dalby will be absolutely rammed this weekend if the weather holds up, it's bad enough on a weekend as it is!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It seems like most of the places I fancied will be bank holiday disasters so I've written this off :( But thanks for the help folks, at least it saved me from going away and getting frustrated. Probably head to Newcastleton or Kielder one day and we're off to the downhill at innerleithen tomorrow so that's just as good
    Uncompromising extremist