Visiting Grand Tours

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Dreaming of the future and visiting grand tours...................caravan or motorhome?

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dirk Hoffman is the man to see.
  • Tusher
    So I hear.

Just trying to work out why motor homes have become more popular when they're far more expensive than caravans.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Speaking with no experience of either I imagine they must be a lot easier to drive as they're rigid. Towing a trailer is always more difficult, particularly reversing into spaces. You have to get the back end going the right way, which often involves pointing what seems to be the wrong way.
  • Towing a caravan on a hairpin road is perhaps a bit awkward.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    Tusher wrote:
    ...................caravan or motorhome?
    Tent!
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Car and tent/hotels.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    car and b&b and bikes
  • Tusher
    Bikes and a tent will likely be all we can afford, but I am fascinated by these motorhomes.

We had visitors who emerged from such a vehicle this morning, and as they stayed for tea afterwards, I was able to fully interrogate them about all aspects of motorhoming.

The answer is apparently "It has a toilet". You can drive mostly wherever you want and still be able to have pee in peace and in your own levels of cleanliness. This would be important if you're on a mountainside for hours waiting for the peloton to come through.

Thus, I now fully understand the appeal of motorhomes.

I want one.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    You can get a motorhome up most mountains,wheras not a caravan,as the car will most likely overheat
    so many cols,so little time!