Tubs with a solution??

lifecyclist2010
lifecyclist2010 Posts: 101
edited April 2011 in Amateur race
Anyone had experience of running a tub with for example Stans Notube Solution inside?

Tbh the idea of tubs scares the...poo...out of me but i think it would help with me racing.

Thanks in advanced

Comments

• tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    I've fixed a punctured tub with liquid sealant before. I had a small flint puncture about 20 miles into first ride with it. Repaired it and ran it until it had no tread left without another.

Only works on small ones though. I had a large glass cut on a front tyre recently and whilst the sealant repaired it and I used it for a few more rides, I could see the latex starting to push through the cut in the tread. It was about 3mm long though. It still held up, but I didn't want to risk it.

I wouldn't bother putting it in beforehand. Try vittoria pitt stop whilst you're out and about, or the stan's sealant for if you can wait til you're home to fix it.

p.s. It's not going to make any difference to your racing unless the wheels are much more aero, and even then it's tiny marginal gains. The only thing that will is your engine. They're still nice to ride though.
  • Thanks for your response tomb8555 i realise the gains are small, however having never experienced tubs before i've heard (like you said) they are lovely to ride and i'm in a priviledged position that i can get tubs cheaper...thus why i'm considering it.

I was looking on a ambrosio nemesis rims with DT revolution spokes on an ambrosio hub so..a "usable" wheelset but they come in at 1400 grams i believe hub all in hub weight so not toooooo bad
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    I repaired a Continental GP4000s Tub with Stans, it worked a treat and has held air since despite not being used.

I really like Continental tyres, I believe they are slightly more robust than Vittoria tyres. A few of the local racers I train with swear by Continental Sprinter Gatorskins as training and racing tubulars.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Plenty of success with Tufo sealant inside Tufo tubs for example - I came 2nd in a race by virtue of the fact that I was one of the few not to flat. Racing today I must have hit the same pothole 4 times on a 5-lap race - someone else double-flatted hitting the same hole with clinchers. In the middle of a bunch you often have limited choice in our line - hitting potholes is inevitable. I was riding Vittoria Evos - superb for racing - Sprinter Gatorskins are hosepipes by comparison.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • On a related note, can anyone tell me if using sealant prevent you ( or indeed www.tubular-repairs.com/ ) from fixing a subsequent, larger puncture that the sealant won't hold?
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Yes it does. The sealant will stick a latex tube together whilst it's deflated. I have had this happen.

It'll only work if they replace the whole tube.