RP23 Setup help please

J273
J273 Posts: 382
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to get the nest out of my new RP23 rear shock.....Bikes a 2010 eunduro with a brand new rp23......coming from a 2008 enduro where the AFR shocks based on rider weight im finding the included manual to be a little vague.

I went out yesterday and found the thing very bouncy even though i have the sag set correctly (i think :? ) on the enduros theres a 25% sag setting on the frame which im going by.

Im only a lightweight weighing 72kg with all riding gear.

Can anyone tell me a decent sag setting which will combat the problem or can anyone recommend a PSI for my rider weight?...or am i best to just ride and find settings that work best for me?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• how do you mean "bouncy"? generaly speaking anywhere between 20% and 30% is about right so starting at around 25% is probably a good idea. make sure your measuring the sag standing on the pedals in the attack position, not sitting down.

try playing with the rebound a bit. if it feels like it is returning too quickly and wants to 'throw you off the bike' then add a few clicks of rebound damping.

its all down to preference at the end of the day though. i ride with another guy who has the same bike as me (specialized pitch). he runs his with between 30% and 35% sag, whereas i prefer mine between 20% and 25%.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited April 2011
    It just sounds like you need to add a few more clicks of rebound damping (red dial).

Turn it all the way clockwise (maximum rebound damping) and then just back it off a couple of clicks 3-4 maybe.

If its bouncing around then its the damping thats at fault not the sag, its the damper that controls the spring.
  • J273
    edited April 2011
    Ok thanks....I've read I want the fastest re-bound I can without it throwing me
    off the pedals.

So when you say add rebound - do you mean faster or slower rebound?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    J273 wrote:
    Ok thanks....I've read I want the fastest re-bound I can without it throwing me
    off the pedals.

So when you say add rebound so you mean faster rebound?

Increasing the rate of rebound damping (red dial clockwise) slows the springs return.

Your right you generally want to be running the minimum amount of rebound damping you can get away with, that certainly is the case with the front fork but as you have found out you will always need to run a bit more on the back or you'll be thrown off.

You could do it the other way and start with no rebound damping (red knob all the way anti clockwise) and just keep adding clicks until all is under control.

Or have a go at bracketing

http://www.foxracingshox.com/protune/?u ... otunelinks
  • J273
    Ok thanks feller.

I'll check the link out.