How to check the second hand bike is not stolen?

bikeboon
bikeboon Posts: 81
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Hi, going for a second hand _folding_ commuting bike. The asking price is a bit too low, and I've no means to verify the ownership or the story (someone has moved). But then, on the other hand it's a folding bike, you don't see those often attached to street furniture.

Could be just me hyping up, and the bike could be a genuine one, but then, firstly, don't want to know I own a stolen bike, and secondly, what are the risks and repercussions for owning a bike that was stolen (I don't know that, do I?)

Any advice would be appreciated...

Comments

• bikeboon
    bikeboon Posts: 81
    PS Ran the model through http://www.bikerevolution.org/stolen-bikes.html - no results in my area.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There's no way to check.
    If it's stolen the worst that would happen, on the off chance it was traced, is it would go back to it's original owner.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Also insist on meeting the seller at their home address and make sure you get ID and a receipt.

As others have said there's no way of being 100% sure unless they have the original receipt, but by ensuring there is a paper trail then it'll cover your back and will lead back to the culprit.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • pmorgan1
    pmorgan1 Posts: 173
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Also insist on meeting the seller at their home address and make sure you get ID and a receipt.

As others have said there's no way of being 100% sure unless they have the original receipt, but by ensuring there is a paper trail then it'll cover your back and will lead back to the culprit.

Cheers.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You could have a chat with the seller and get a feeling as to if they've used it - niggles, how it rides etc.
  • saladdays
    saladdays Posts: 92
    If you buy it and think it's stolen why not contact the police to clear your concience? Guiltfree riding!
  • I've bought a couple of bikes off ebay. Each time I have visited and viewed prior to bidding, partly to assess fit and condition, but largely just to chat with the seller. If they haven't got a plausable story to tell about how they came to have the bike and why they are getting rid I'd walk away. In my experience, genuine sellers are happy to volunteer lots of additional information such as why they choose that model over another, trips they had been on, scalps they had taken etc.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Andrew N
    Andrew N Posts: 119
    I completely agree with walkingbootweather's suggestions...

...asking sellers lots of questions, meeting them in person, checking bike registers to make sure the bike hasn't been reported as stolen, seeing plenty of photos of the bike, looking at their trading history should do enough to raise or dispel any suspicions.

If you have any doubt as the to legitimacy of the bikes then don't buy it! The police have told me that they are happy to go after people who buy stolen bikes!
    www.goinggoingbike.com
  • If you're really doubtful about the bike, you could try http://www.checkmend.com/uk/ for £1.99. (I got linked to from the Immobilise people, who the police were using at a local bike fair a couple of years ago.)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    never buy it off a scouser.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    never buy it off a scouser.

why is that?
    Keeping it classy since '83