double chainrings

speshyalex
speshyalex Posts: 62
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi, does anyone know the overall diameter of a 42t and a 29t chainring, a 44t certainly won't fit in the middle position on my crankset.has anyone else got a similar set up on a 06(i think) s-works carbon hardtail with a 73mm bb shell and a fsa team issue gxp crank?
cheers.......alex

Comments

• hi, i think i will go for the ta chinook rings in 29/40 but if anyone uses this setup please could you measure the overall diameter of the rings please as i do not want to order rings that may not fit..........thanks in advance......alex :D
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    I've only just sold a pair of 42 and 28 Chinooks on eBay (both mint condition, only got a fiver for each :cry: )

Reason being, although they weren't touching the chainstays, the moment I got chainsuck in really gloopy mud, the chain jammed itself very tighlty against the chainstay.

So don't assume you only need to worry about whether the chainring touches the frame (which it probably won't up to a 44T middle) it's chainsuck clearance you may need to worry about. Double MTB cranks position the 'rings further out - you can't get the same chainlines using a triple crank.

I went with 36/24 at the front with 11-32 at the back - my top gear is still plenty high enough.