Anyone or any clubs in Ayrshire

LostHorizon
LostHorizon Posts: 27
edited April 2011 in MTB rides
Just moved back to Ayrshire after being away for a few years so i am eagre to get out and onto the trails again. I know quite a few trails mostly in the north ayrshire/greenock area. Just looking for a group to join...
Also looking to improve my fitness as havent cycled for a a few years but just bought a new bike so have no excuses any more.. :D

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    FROM PREVIOUS POST:
    There are tracks either side of Darvel, Whitelee Forest to the north (now windfarm but with some tracks at the lower levels away from the turbines) and Lanfine Estate woods to the south. Carrick Forest around Dalmellington has a full range of trails from singletrack to tarred C roads running alongside Loch Doon. Above Largs there's Gogo Glen and up towards Greenock there is Loch Thom with the Greenock Cut and Kelly Cut tracks, also Leapmoor Forest at Wemyss Bay. Fairlie has tracks at the castle and Fairlie Glen. In Irvine, the Beach Park has some easy but enjoyable tracks and there are trails all over the old Bogside racecourse and disued explosives site next to the river off Sandy Road. Kilwinning boasts Eglinton Park while Dundonald offers the Smugglers Trail to Loans with swooping singletrack and various offshoot paths. Kilmarnock has limited trails at Caprington Estate and at a dedicated area within Craufurdland fishery. The River Ayr at Auchincruive has a tiny skills area. Muirshiel Park above Lochwinnoch has some desolate cross country paths on the route of the old Duchal Moor railway. Muirkirk has Dungavel Hill and Kype Muir paths going towards Strathaven or Black Loch Moss forest opposite Dungavel detention centre. Cumnock has tracks at Glenmuir Water heading up to Wardlaw Hill. New Cumnock has a few tracks near Afton Reservoir and more between Corsencon Hill and Glespin. There is also the River Ayr Way from Glenbuck to Ayr through Muirkirk, Sorn, Catrine, Mauchline and Failford. Sanquhar has paths along the Euchan Water to Polskeoch Bothy (Southern Upland Way) and beyond. Barr, Straiton and Dailly all have paths, eventually leading into the Galloway Forest. Sclenteuch Moor tracks between Straiton and Patna are good but difficult at Spallander Loch. Try Drumlanrig for dedicated MTB trails or Ae forest for downhilling. Glentrool , just south of South Ayrshire, has an easy MTB route through the trees and an all-day CTC created route on fire trails and farm lanes. That's BEFORE you start looking.

Check out the relevant OS maps or www.walkerscyclingclub.co.uk, which is an Ayrshire mountain biking and road cycling club.
  • thats great woody, thanks for the reply,

just wondering if there were any riders or clubs i the area that i can riding with...

walkers cycling club looks good but would they accept peeps as far away as Largs?

cheers
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Yes. Walkers is your best bet. Loads of members from all over Ayrshire. Glasgow is your other option.
  • great...i have fired a wee email into them..cheers!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Hi LostHorizon,

We are a friendly Glasgow (mainly) based MTB goup. We have people coming to rides from Ayrshire and the Clyde coast as well as all over Glasgow and surrounding area. Free to join, free to come along. Have a look at the site in the link below, will be plenty of rides all over the place.

Cheers
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • awesome, seems like a friendly bunch. I will def keep my eye on that page and come alone one of these days...

cheers...