Spesh Frame Choice (Expert to S-Works)

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I will cut a long story short about how I got to this point and the fact I almost got an RS, but I now have the choice between getting a 2011 Spesh Expert SL3 or S-Works SL3 frameset as a crash replacement. The S-Works is going to set me back around another £700.
I did ask on here previously about the ride quality of the S-Works for a hard riding sportive and leisure rider as I am, which put me off a bit, but I keep thinking it's my one chance of getting one, which would be dream come true.
Then again the Expert will likely be beyond ideal and is still more than one up from my old 08 Comp and will leave me flush.
Truthfully I am having a mare making my mind up and need to really by Monday, so any thoughts are welcome.
Cheers

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Sonny73 wrote:
    I will cut a long story short about how I got to this point and the fact I almost got an RS, but I now have the choice between getting a 2011 Spesh Expert SL3 or S-Works SL3 frameset as a crash replacement. The S-Works is going to set me back around another £700.
    I did ask on here previously about the ride quality of the S-Works for a hard riding sportive and leisure rider as I am, which put me off a bit, but I keep thinking it's my one chance of getting one, which would be dream come true.
    Then again the Expert will likely be beyond ideal and is still more than one up from my old 08 Comp and will leave me flush.
    Truthfully I am having a mare making my mind up and need to really by Monday, so any thoughts are welcome.
    Cheers

Bought an S-works two weeks ago. Did 200 miles in a week including a 100 mile hilly sportive. No issues at all. Superb bike. worth the £700.00 if you ask me but dont forget they come sans seat post so I bought the S-works set back as part of the deal.
  • Lou_m
    Lou_m Posts: 97
    I'd stick with the expert. I have just changed my 08 pro frame for an 09 pro and it feels so much better. Spend the extra on some bling wheels! How much is it costing you for your crash replacement expert frame?
  • i've an 2011 expert and its great, more than anyone wud ever need, but then again if i'd the £700 i dont think i cud resist an s-works

2010 specialized allez
    2011 specialized tarmac sl3 expert(cant wait for the good weather)
  • I agree with bristol pete, the s works frame is well worth the money.Been riding mine for a month or so now and I'm well pleased ,it's quick,light but above all very stable,and IMO
    good looking ,look at Petes bike in the gallery ,that's a great looking bike
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If you have always wanted an S-Works and you don't mind spending the extra then why not go for it?

I was out for a ride on Saturday with a group of folks and two of the bikes were frankly dreadful looking jallopies. Our ride took in three of the more challenging Surrey hills and it didn't seem to make a blind bit of difference which bike we had at the end.

I imagine you'll get similar performance out of both Spesh frames. If you really have a thing about the S Works then go for it, otherwise save the money would be my advice.

Peter
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    +1 for the S-works. Sportives, training, hills, etc. for the last 9 months and I adore it.