rear pro2 help

JamesS156
JamesS156 Posts: 68
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
A month ago I decided to give my bearings a clean and some fresh grease the caps took a long time to get off so I wiped the bearings and use Rock n roll super web grease put the caps on which took some force to put on and I have been on 2 rides since and the bearings feel rough and not as smooth as they were also sometimes I can hear sort of a bird tweet from it this is why I cleaned it up in the first place. Help please :oops:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Where did you put the grease? Did you prise the lips of the bearings, flush them and repack?
  • JamesS156
    Didn't touch the bearings just put grease round them where the old grease was both sides
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WIll not have done much them I am afraid. If the bearings are gritty then you need to get inside them to flush them out and repack, or replace.

Hope has servicing instructions on their site, or see youtube.
  • JamesS156
    Ok thanks
  • Hope use INA, SKF or FAG bearings for good reason. They are sealed and don't require servicing. In fact, sealed cartridge bearings are not designed to be serviced, just replaced when they wear out.
    Any attempt to remove the seal to effect servicing of any "sealed cartridge bearing" will invalidate the warranty of the bearing and by association, any product the bearing is fitted to.
    If you have any issues with any products with sealed bearings, return them to the manufacturer for replacement.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Except that many of those bearings are designed for dry, high speed use so come with a low or half grease fill, which is perfect for the application but not ideal for slow, wet use. Which is what mountain bikes are for. So, I always carefully remove the seals and fill the bearings, often you'll find a surprisingly small amount of grease. You're right that they're designed to be replaced when worn out but there's no reason you should just accept that as divine law when it's so easy to get more life from them.

But in this case, doesn't sound like the bearings had much wrong with them in the first place? Dismantle it and clean it out, check the bearings for roughness by hand. Pro 2 bearings are very small and so they don't have a great lifespan, but on the plus side the hubs are very easy to service.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another awesome piece of English design then, Northwind? :lol:
  • Northwind
    I have the occasional go at them but they're still good kit, I think I'd sooner have more DT240s but then a pair of 240 hubs costs pretty much the same as a whole wheelset with Pro 2s...

Still to get a set of Evos to pick over and unfairly find fault with :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nah, you're right, there are some properly stupid decisions taken on the design. Whether it's lazyness, or just incompetence, I don't know.
    I do still love Hope ProII front hubs though, they're just so adaptable, and easily so.
  • Northwind
    Ah but is it that simple? When they did it first, that was incompetence. When they didn't change the design after the faults became so obvious that even I noticed, that was laziness. :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist