Which would you install?

Mr OCD
Mr OCD Posts: 382
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Will be re-framing my Fury this weekend and have a choice of bits to put on it but not sure what to do about the gear sets...

I've got available:

SRAM X5 shifters
SRAM X5 front derailer
SRAM X7 rear derailer

Shimano Alivio shifters
Shimano Alivio front derailer
Shimano Alivio rear derailer

What would you say is better? - worth mixing / matching?
2009 Carrera Fury

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i would have the x7 rear mech over the alivio.....which ties you into the sram shifters....

at that point...slin gon the sram front mech as well.

C
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Mr OCD
    cee wrote:
    i would have the x7 rear mech over the alivio.....which ties you into the sram shifters....

at that point...slin gon the sram front mech as well.

C

Cheers ... that saves me work as well ... 8)
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Alivio every time.
    SRAM is afour letter word that begins with S
    Shimano is a 7 letter word, and coincidentally, so is Quality.
    The choice is yours.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Ahh, the old Shimano Vs Sram debate... again....

Personal preference really.

I used to run Shimano for ages (over 10 years), until tried Sram (8 years ago).

I got fed up with having to constantly adjust the gears with the Shimano set up's I used, the slightest bit of muck in a cable and the gears started to play up

In our workshop we're always having to readjust customers Shimano set ups very rarely do we have to adjust a Sram set up

Yeah, the X9 jockey wheels need to be strip cleaned after seriously muddy rides, but you should really be doing that anyway (cleaning all the drivetrain parts after a muddy ride) to prolong their life

My bikes have:
    Sram for shifters & rear mech's
    Shimano for front mechs and cassette
    KMC/Sram chains
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Mr OCD
    Can I run alivio front mech / alivio shifters with SRAM x7 rear mech?

At the moment frame change is experimental so trying to avoid stripping too much off the Fury but I need the brakes / wheel set and forks from the Fury.

SRAM kit is all on the Fury... Alivio stuff is already dismantled!
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    No, front mechs can be mixed and matched, but rear mech and shifter need to be SRAM/SRAM or Shimano/Shimano.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They're both reasonably nice, assuming recent Alivio anyway. FIt whichever you like the action of more.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ignoring SRAM v Shimano debate slightly, the SRAM parts are at a higher level in the food chain to the Shimano so I'd go with them, but if the Alivio front mech suites the frame better than the X5, then you can use that.

(I have Shimano on my MTB, and SRAM MTB parts on my commuter so I am not a SRAMophile or a SRAMophobic!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.