Dragon Ride - Riding Partner / Group

harvoir
harvoir Posts: 58
I've entered the Grand Fondo and am looking for a partner / group to ride with.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Legshaver
    Legshaver Posts: 75
    Where do you live?
  • harvoir
    I live in London......
  • bcss
    bcss Posts: 174
    Hi am from london as well, and def looking for somebody to at least share logistics with for the dragon

I am going to box hill tomorrow, in case you are up for it
  • Legshaver
    Legshaver Posts: 75
    I'm sure that if it's training buddies that you would like to meet, then there will be dozens in London doing the Dragon that will be happy to let you know about clubs/groups etc.

If it's just a group that you want to meet at the Dragon Ride, forget it. You cannot be sure how much faster/slower an unknown group will be with respect to your level of expertise. You need to ride at your own pace, and well within your capacity. It's a tough course.

3000+ riders is a lot of riders, and you will be overtaken by quite a few, no doubt. If you feel that they are not going away from you then tag along and see if you feel ok with the pace. If you can't hold them then ease off.

You might catch some riders who are slightly slower than you, so you could get in with them and see if you can stay together for awhile. Just stay at a pace that you feel is comfortable. You can give it everything you've got once you get to the last 10 miles.

Beware though, at all times, you are cycling with riders that you don't know. Don't get too close to someones back wheel and touch it. You'll be the one who goes down. Anyone behind you will most likely do the same and a whole pile-up will ensue. Be aware of everyone around you.

Eat and drink plenty all the time.

If I'm stating the painfully bleedin' obvious, I apologise. Enjoy the day. It's a great event. I'll be there.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    By all means start with your club/mates but after that ride your own event and don't get sucked into trying to stay with a group that's too fast for you and end up cooking yourself after a couple of hours. Start mid field and there will be people to catch up and perhaps work with and there will be faster groups coming past you can try to hang with.
  • harvoir
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think i'll plan to ride alone and see what happens on the day.
    I'm seriously looking forward to this event, surely the mountain can't be that bad??

Stephen
  • SDF64
    SDF64 Posts: 34
    harvoir

In my experience, none of the climbs on the course are extremely difficult in themselves, although the climb up to the third feedstation in Neath is a bit tasty. The main climbs of the Bwlch and Rhigos are long and steady (my kind of climb) although not too steep. It's when you put them all together that things get interesting (talk about stating the obvious :lol: ).

As others have said though, if you take it at your own pace and don't push it too hard early on you should be fine.

Legshaver is spot on about the last 10 miles, you'll be suprised how the adrenaline kicks in and you can really go for it. The group i was in must have been averaging around 20mph for the last 10 miles the last time i did it, which for me is pretty fast, especially after 170km.

Here's hoping for a good ride, with good weather.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    SDF64 wrote:
    Legshaver is spot on about the last 10 miles, you'll be suprised how the adrenaline kicks in and you can really go for it. The group i was in must have been averaging around 20mph for the last 10 miles the last time i did it, which for me is pretty fast, especially after 170km.

It's slightly downhill and with a prevailing tailwind ... nice after all those hills and the distance.

My rule is not to push too hard until after the Cimla feed station. Then you can give everything up the second Bwlch climb and you've got plenty of time to recover for the last few ramps.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    harvoir wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think i'll plan to ride alone and see what happens on the day.
    I'm seriously looking forward to this event, surely the mountain can't be that bad??

Stephen

124 miles with hills is an awfully long time to ride by yourself. I would recommend getting on as many groups as you can who ride within your limits, as you'll save youself something like 25-30% energy. I used to ride sportives on my own and I did ok, but my times shot up when I started riding with more groups. And it's more fun riding with others.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I concur with the above about finding groups on the day.

The beauty of the DR is simply in the vast numbers it attracts - whatever speed you're riding you will find small or large groups around you, so just tack on to any that suit the pace you want to ride at, not forgetting to offer a turn on the front if you end up riding with them for a while (although if it's a big 'un of 10-20 riders you're as well not trying to do this as you could just end up getting in the way).
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    One tip I'd add is that if you are doing the full route, to make sure you get with a group after the cimla (last) feedstation. Going up the bwlch road alone after at least 80+ miles could be a test for anyone not used to longer climbs, especially if there is a headwind.

It's part of my training ride and a few weeks ago there were loads of guys training on it for the dragon in a strong headwind who were finding it tough. IMO if you can get acfew riding partners there, it'll make a big difference
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I used to ride sportives on my own and I did ok, but my times shot up when I started riding with more groups. And it's more fun riding with others.

Agree. Its only this year I've been fit enough to stay with the fast groups and it does make a difference.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Im doing the Grand Fondo route so say hi if your passing.

Im the guy with way to many tattoos and a very bling looking Storck bike, so easy to spot 8)
  • rusty nuts
    rusty nuts Posts: 49
    Just noticed that the final feed station on the Gran Fondo route has now been moved a few miles back along the course to a forestry picnic area just outside Crynant. There are Google Maps links on the event "news" page.

As the Bwlch feedstation is passed twice by those on the GF route the organisers have advised riders that this will close at 3pm and that Crynant is the last feedstop on the GF route.
    TL