Mankey Worn Rims

BobbyTrigger
BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
the rims on my old hack are fairly messy - as well as muck etc there's small gouges in them from general wear and tear. i seem to remember reading somewhere that you can buy a paste to clean the rims with? i'm going to fit new v brakes, i want to get the rims back to their possible best first.

cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mavic rim rubber?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aye, that's the stuff - cheers Nick
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    I reckon scouring cream (for kiichen worktops, you know the stuff I mean) or tooth paste will get them just as clean.
  • interesting cheers!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    from what I recall, the mavic block is like an eraser but with some fine grit in it, if not, then ignore me.

I mean you are using a light abrasive, so the paste or cream may be a bit messier but a quick wash will fix that.
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    Don't know if they're readily available but "ink erasers" the ones that are grittier than a regular pencil eraser work wonderfully.

Unfortunately I haven't found any in a long time, but being a cheap b*stard I wasn't going to pay Mavic price's, so bought these abrasive blocks at a third the price of the Mavic option. There are several grades and work really well