Independent Campaign

sashmo
sashmo Posts: 113
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 68135.html

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned this earlier. About time it was on the front of a national newspapaer I say, albeit an evidently scarcely-read one.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Its good to see this being raised at the national level and the 9 points at the end of the article are good, but there's not much on improving the standards of cycling. I see this as a dual cause issue, 1 that other road users should receive better training, facilities and instruments (e.g. mirrors) to react to cyclists, but 2 is that cyclists should also receive better training to be aware of the risks. Anyone who rides up the inside of any vehicle is putting themselves in danger. I often hang back at traffic lights or junctions to avoid this kind of danger and I'm always amazed by the number of cyclists who blithely ride up the inside of vehicles, even if the lights have been red for some time. If we can't collectively take some of the resonsibility for these very sad incidents, then we can't expect the world to do it for us.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Quite remarkable that they actually mentioned more space for cyclists like in NL and Copenhagen!!!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Wow, there're 18 pages of comments! Nothing new mentioned - the usual bilge about "road tax", helmets riding on the pavement and RLJing but 18 pages!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Particularly like this comment from user FrankLe:
    There is a mythology that has been carefully constructed around motoring. Look at the adverts, the open road, the perfect wife and contented children secure in the back.

Then there is the reality, the never ending and spiralling expense. Sat in traffic jams while your hard earned bleeds out of the exhaust making you feel guilty about the environment while the kids are climbing the walls with boredom.

It's hardly surprising that many drivers are half psychotic (or behave as if they are). And when they see a cyclist whipping past them all they can see is someone getting something for free.

So on one hand we have millions of delusional solipsists in control of a ton of machinery and on the other the cyclists blessed with instant karma where any bad decision will cost. Not at the end of the month, not in insurance premiums, fines or garage bills but instantly.

So I wasn't hugely surprised in 2008 when I was knocked off my bike by a Jag owner who then got out of the the motor and tried to hit me for scratching his car, you get used to the attitude.

I don't believe its too extreme an example of what's going on in the mind of many motorists.
    "I pay all this money, I was promised freedom, my motorcar coddles me like a baby so I can act like a spoiled child, where's my freedom. . . . "
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Particularly like this comment from user FrankLe:
    There is a mythology that has been carefully constructed around motoring. Look at the adverts, the open road, the perfect wife and contented children secure in the back.

Then there is the reality, the never ending and spiralling expense. Sat in traffic jams while your hard earned bleeds out of the exhaust making you feel guilty about the environment while the kids are climbing the walls with boredom.

It's hardly surprising that many drivers are half psychotic (or behave as if they are). And when they see a cyclist whipping past them all they can see is someone getting something for free.

So on one hand we have millions of delusional solipsists in control of a ton of machinery and on the other the cyclists blessed with instant karma where any bad decision will cost. Not at the end of the month, not in insurance premiums, fines or garage bills but instantly.

So I wasn't hugely surprised in 2008 when I was knocked off my bike by a Jag owner who then got out of the the motor and tried to hit me for scratching his car, you get used to the attitude.

I don't believe its too extreme an example of what's going on in the mind of many motorists.
    "I pay all this money, I was promised freedom, my motorcar coddles me like a baby so I can act like a spoiled child, where's my freedom. . . . "

I like FrankLe
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    The campaign was given a good plug on the BBC Breakfast news this morning - the review of the papers bit. The guest pointed out that if 240-odd people were killed or seriously injured a month due to a disease there wouldn't be any question that something had to be done.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    On the back of this, You & Yours on R4 at 12 noon today (i.e now) is doing a full hour's phone-in + discussion on the subject of cycle safety. Brace yerselves chaps, for the usual cr@p.