5mm lower

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited April 2011 in Workshop
Since I injured myself about 3 years ago (not riding) I have a dodgy neck. I'm just about to decide on a new frame and if I change to the different brand I am thinking of my position will be 5mm lower on the bars and hoods, using the max spacers allowed.
I have no reference for what this would feel like or what the impact would be on long rides, but I'm guessing it's a bit of a gamble?

Comments

• emx
    emx Posts: 164
    you may not even notice 5mm...
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Can you take a spacer out and lower the bars on your current ride by 5mm?

I would expect 5mm to be manageable but if you are on the edge of comfort/flexibility on your current set up it could be enough to cause problems. No chance you can test ride?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    you could always stem the bars closer to counter it.
  • As has been said above, you may not notice the 5mm drop. But if you are on the edge then you will want to try and match the position as closely as possible.

How many spacers would you be using? And why is that the maximum allowed, steerer length, manufacturers guidelines...?

The other option, other than to use a shorter stem, would be to flip the stem over to create a positive angle, assuming you aren't currently using a positive angled stem. If the stem you are currently using is flipped up, then you could always get one with a steeper angle to lift you higher.

I would try and take a 5mm spacer from your bike though and see if you can notice.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Stems come in various different angles. Standard is around ±6° - but you can get up to ±17° (probably more if you really need).

I've just had to lower my saddle by 1.5cm - and swapped stems to something with less rise on it to lower my bars to match the saddle height.

It's a simple way to fix your problem (assuming it's the front end that needs adjusting).
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Pokerface wrote:
    Stems come in various different angles. Standard is around ±6° - but you can get up to ±17° (probably more if you really need).

I've just had to lower my saddle by 1.5cm - and swapped stems to something with less rise on it to lower my bars to match the saddle height.

It's a simple way to fix your problem (assuming it's the front end that needs adjusting).

1.5cms, that's quite dramatic. Injury related?
  • Pokerface
    ajb72 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Not exactly. New cycling-specific leg built for me (amputee) and it fixes a discrepancy in length I had between the two sides. Saddle height had been set higher to accommodate a regular prosthetic but now it is lowered to the height of my good leg and the new leg was built to that size.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Pokerface wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Not exactly. New cycling-specific leg built for me (amputee) and it fixes a discrepancy in length I had between the two sides. Saddle height had been set higher to accommodate a regular prosthetic but now it is lowered to the height of my good leg and the new leg was built to that size.

Ah - should have read the blog first! Good luck with the training!
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Pokerface, did I see you at the Endura Lionheart Sportive last month?
  • Pokerface
    ADIHEAD wrote:
    Pokerface, did I see you at the Endura Lionheart Sportive last month?

Nope. Only sportive I ride is the Cheshire Cat - and that's cause the route passes close to my house! Must have been some other one-legged wonder ;)
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Sure, must have been. Bugger beat me anyhow :roll: