Calling all married men - Stags

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm being whisked off for my stag do this weekend. Obvio never had one before, although been on a few. The mates coming are a well behaved bunch by and large, but I'm wary that a couple of them may have something evil planned. At least we're staying in the UK!

Any tips from those who have survived theirs?

Comments

• Just go with it dude..... What's the Family Guy quote? "It's like sex with Alan Iverson, if he wants it, it's going to happen"

Just make sure the Stag do is at least a few days before the wedding.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I got shot.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Shave off all your body hair so it won't hurt so much when they untape you from the lamp post.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • il_principe
    I got shot.

I think we are going clay shooting at some point...

:shock:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I got shot.

Will everybody stop getting shot!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    take soluble alka seltzers/paracetamol :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    On my stag do, I had to prevent two of my very drunk mates from trying to kill each other, one fell and cracked his head on the pavement, the other was hell bent on finding a kebab at 3 in the morning. Me and my other mates had to make sure they got home ok, left one on his bed in a pool of his own vomit, and the other on his armchair with a hitler moustache drawn on his face. Good times!
  • Mine was a low-key affair: we went bungee jumping near Chelsea Bridge, then onto a titty bar in Bethnal Green and ended up in a Blues club in Soho where we drank ourselves to a suitable amount of oblivion and smoked large, Cuban cigars.

My fellow stags thoughtfully decided against cling-filming me naked to a lamp-post or bundling me bound and gagged onto a mail plane set for the Hebrides.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Paintball.... there were 4 other stags there and we had to run a gauntlet of every other player lined up.

My Best Man thought this was hysterical until I said we needed some safety in numbers and the Best men got lumped in with us :lol:

He's 6'5" - I hid behind him and got shot once - he was peppered!

A mate had his Stag Do in Blackpool and was handcuffed to a set of traffic lights on the Golden Mile.

For 4 1/2 hours

On August Bank Holiday weekend

The Police turned up and INSISTED, INSISTED they did.... that they take a drink out to him every 30 minutes as it was a bit warm.

He was wearing nothing but a kagool and a pair of boxers.

Apparently he's in LOTS of people's photo collections.....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My brother's stag do was in Cardiff. He got off lightly but there was lots other stags out and about and it was carnage. One guy was dressed up as bo peep and all his stags as sheep. Saturday night in Cardiff is madness.

Just go with it and enjoy, it will hurt but you'll recover.

Also if you see this just say no.

image07-gl-can.jpg
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I got shot.

Will everybody stop getting shot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPg_fj_SK_E
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Just roll with it and enjoy it. I've been on stag's where the stag wasn't happy to go with what was happening and it all got a bit fraught. On other stag's, mine included, the stag has played along with the games and everyone has had a great time.

Its going to be embarassing, its going to get messy, but ultimately it should be fun. Mine involved a weekend in a Britney Spears outfit (Baby hit me one more time) and a Wild Stallion posing pouch which proved very successfil with the ladies of Bristol. Happy days.

A mate is going on his tonight. He's been told to turn up at the airport with his passport and nothing else. Apparently, everything that he "needs" will be provided :shock:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Mine was just a group of mates going on a pub crawl around London, finishing up with a curry in my favourite curry house.

I've been on loads of stag dos, from Prague to Glasgow. I've sat in the lobby of a hotel at 2 am while the third person we were sharing a room with was "entertaining".

I seen the groom be refused entry and had to go back to the hotel and change, I've seen groom put up such a fight, and come to blows with the best man. I've had cheap stags and expensive ones, and for mine I just wanted an enjoyable night with my mates. For me that was an all day pub crawl, no fancy dress, no strippers, no handcuffs. I trusted my best man, which is why he was my best man.

I did have a bottle of £500 bottle of 55% beer, stuffed in a dead stoat...which was something I wasn't expecting!
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • il_principe
    snooks wrote:
    Mine was just a group of mates going on a pub crawl around London, finishing up with a curry in my favourite curry house.

I've been on loads of stag dos, from Prague to Glasgow. I've sat in the lobby of a hotel at 2 am while the third person we were sharing a room with was "entertaining".

I seen the groom be refused entry and had to go back to the hotel and change, I've had cheap stags and expensive ones, and for mine I just wanted an enjoyable night with my mates. For me that was an all day pub crawl, no fancy dress, no strippers, no handcuffs. I trusted my best man, which is why he was my best man.

I did have a bottle of £500 bottle of 55% beer, stuffed in a dead stoat...which was something I wasn't expecting!

I'm hoping mine will follow your lines, but I know it involves a boat, already a worrying sign as I hate boats and will react very badly to ending up in a river!

Still, the best man knows I am a boring, grumpy old man who just wants to drink nice ale somewhere. So fingers crossed things will be relatively subdued.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    edited April 2011
    I got bitten by a horse. Other than that to was pretty tame. A trip round the Young's brewery, some sampling, some more sampling, some excellent curry, some falling asleep due to an excess of ale and curry.

Oh, the horse was in the stables of the brewery.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kelsen
    snooks wrote:

I seen the groom be refused entry and had to go back to the hotel and change, I've seen groom put up such a fight, and come to blows with the best man. I've had cheap stags and expensive ones, and for mine I just wanted an enjoyable night with my mates. For me that was an all day pub crawl, no fancy dress, no strippers, no handcuffs. I trusted my best man, which is why he was my best man.

But have you ever been to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NFKwPWIJc
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Go with the flow - it is better than trying to resist.
    Try and pace yourself as much as allowed.
    Eat.
    Sneak in a drink of water when you can.

No cameras = no evidence! Camera phones with flashes are a bloody nuisance, it was so much simpler not so long ago.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    kelsen wrote:
    On my stag do, I had to prevent two of my very drunk mates from trying to kill each other, one fell and cracked his head on the pavement, the other was hell bent on finding a kebab at 3 in the morning. Me and my other mates had to make sure they got home ok, left one on his bed in a pool of his own vomit, and the other on his armchair with a hitler moustache drawn on his face. Good times!

And you seemed such a well behaved type....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kelsen
    kelsen wrote:

And you seemed such a well behaved type....

I am! That's why I spent all night worrying that the first guy left alone in his flat didn't choke on his own vomit. That would have put a downer on my wedding day! :lol:
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I told all my mates the wrong date for the wedding, went off a week early and came back married. I hate stag dos.

I'm not normally anti-social or anything, I just have a fear of waking up in the gorrilla compound of the zoo with my arse smelling of bananas.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    garryc wrote:
    I told all my mates the wrong date for the wedding, went off a week early and came back married. I hate stag dos.

I'm not normally anti-social or anything, I just have a fear of waking up in the gorrilla compound of the zoo with my ars* smelling of bananas.

:lol::lol:

@Sketchley - yep, Cardiff can be mad on Saturday night. And will be out there tomorrow night in my slippers and cardigan. The women are predators. They come down from the Valleys on the Battle Bus and unleash hell - a bit like when Boudicca tore the Romans a new one.

@Jash - as said above, just go with it. And position yourself next to a pot plant at all times - much easier to dispose of shots that way, see?

God speed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Mine came just a short while after one of my mates was made to walk home from Ipswich Town Centre wearing just his shirt. He is now a deputy Headmaster.

I did take the precaution of wearing a strong leather belt secured with a padlock, leaving the only key in the hotel room. It did prevent me from being de-bagged, but I was suitably chastised for being overly prepared.

Stag dos have a life of their own and are usually unforgetable. If they are real mates they wont go too far.

I hope.....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I will say nothing more than my do was 5 days long, in Spain and involved several different law enforcement agencies .... with guns :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Mine came just a short while after one of my mates was made to walk home from Ipswich Town Centre wearing just his shirt. He is now a deputy Headmaster.

I did take the precaution of wearing a strong leather belt secured with a padlock, leaving the only key in the hotel room. It did prevent me from being de-bagged, but I was suitably chastised for being overly prepared.

Stag dos have a life of their own and are usually unforgetable. If they are real mates they wont go too far.

I hope.....

yeah.... my best mate got stripped of everything he was wearing except his t-shirt in the centre of Sheffield (doorway of the Frog and Parrot) The only thing was: he was the 6' 5" tall guy I mentioned earlier. The t-shirt didn't reach.

It's worrying me that I have these stories... :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I'm getting married in Las Vegas in September, and having the stag do the day before, while the future missus has her makeup trials and girlie time with the chief bridesmaid.

The plan is to go to a gun shop/range, a strip club and a bar, then home in time for some beauty sleep. Given that my best man doesn't drink, and I can easily out drink the other mate who's definitely going, it'll probably be a quiet one.

I have already cleared all of this with the other half, and she's happy for me to go to a strip club. One of the many reasons I'm marrying her!
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,154
    Make sure a good strip club is on the agenda for later in the evening - with any luck they'll want to stay in there and will forget about chaining you to a lamp post etc. Worked for me :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've got one in Whitby in a few weeks, in Whitby!!!!

I have a strong suspicion that it will involve sea fishing and workingmens clubs.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Whitby!!!!

Not too far from me. You'll get some lovely fish and chips, but Stag Party Central it ain't.

Enjoy.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    SimonAH wrote:
    Whitby!!!!

Not too far from me. You'll get some lovely fish and chips, but Stag Party Central it ain't.

Enjoy.

Word.

But there's a good crazy golf course there. Got a couple of hole-in-ones IIRC. Pinnacle of my golfing career. So chuffed was I that I did a Fabrizio Ravenelli-style celebration.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    Whitby!!!!

Enjoy.

Word.

But there's a good crazy golf course there. Got a couple of hole-in-ones IIRC. Pinnacle of my golfing career. So chuffed was I that I did a Fabrizio Ravenelli-style celebration.

He sinks great putts and then you see his belly....
    Heeeeeyyyy CJCP!

Whitby's a bit of a sleepy town most of the year, shame you'll be missing the Goth weekend, as that's a great laugh.