Unknown Cyclist Killed in Belfast This Morning

antlaff
antlaff Posts: 583
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Looking at the photo it looks like the driver simply didn't see the cyclist and drove over him - the bike and lorry are tight up against the kerb

Tragic :cry:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Sad news.

Be careful out there so that you don't get into an accident and carry ID in case you do.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • antlaff
    Looking at the photo it looks like the driver simply didn't see the cyclist and drove over him - the bike and lorry are tight up against the kerb

Tragic :cry:

yeah the picture is very condemning of the driver - cant see what else could have happened
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Let's not jump to conclusions, there are lights there, it's not exactly unknown for cyclists to undertake lorries at traffic lights is it?

RIP the the guy though, and condolences to his family. Can't imagine how horrible it must be to find out your son/dad/husband has been killed through checking the local news :(
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    To me it looks like the lorry was passing the cyclist and pulled in to avoid an on-coming car - note the angle of the lorry.
    Sad whatever happened.
    Carry ID at all times.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Tragic, and very scary circumstances.
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Be careful out there so that you don't get into an accident and carry ID in case you do.

I've heard a rumour of local cycle police asking cyclists not wearing a helmet to pull over. They then ask them if they're carrying ID because they want to know who to contact in the event of a crash. If it's true it's ridiculous and totally misses the point. I'd like to have a discussion with one but doubt I'll get the chance as I always wear one.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    RIP

Have never cycled in Belfast but that's one of the main routes into the city, a very busy junction.

Wonder how much of a factor the time of day was.

6.30am - not quite dark, not quite light and commuters of all types not quite awake.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Trying to find it on Google streetview, but the scene doesn't quite seem to match.
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    That's a really busy road where 4 roads meet. I've seen some cyclists jump the lights at that junction to get a head start on traffic.

Very sad makes it very real when you see the scene yourself.
  • tailwindhome
    He was the second Northern Irish cyclist to be killed this week

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 42742.html
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    The cyclist killed on the Ormeau Road has been identified, his family have asked for the details to remain private
  • antlaff
    thelawnet wrote:
    Trying to find it on Google streetview, but the scene doesn't quite seem to match.

this is the section from the other side of the road but looking up the same road

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 4,,0,-4.33
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    He was the second Northern Irish cyclist to be killed this week

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 42742.html

Yeah, tonight's Belfast Telegraph makes sad reading. Two cyclist fatalities on the front page.

RIP both.
    Misguided Idealist
  • bmca2010
    bmca2010 Posts: 54
    real sad, seen the road closed of this morning and was wondering what was up,