OT attention cider drinkers

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
was in Tesco last night an the people who make Stella have brought out a cider!

im a Westons man my self, my current favourite is "Olde Rosie" im going to have to try this "Stella stuff" tonight
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Made just down the road from me:

http://www.thistlycrosscider.co.uk/

Their Ginger Cider is a true wonder of the world. I normally despise flavoured cider, but this is fantastic.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i will keep an eye out for that stuff, sounds like a winner

i like trying new ciders, unfortunatly up here in Liverpool you dont seem to get that much cider, its all Strongbow....better than drinking lager though!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Word to the wise: the Stella Cidre is disgusting. Much like the rest of their output, IMO.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Aspells man myself. Cider from the makers of "Wifebeater" scared now
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I don't think I'll be on the lookout for this. I've drank one pint of cider in the last decade or so. I remember enjoying Merrydown and K in my younger days though. Then I went to uni and discovered lager. A few years ago I discovered whiskey.

I'm enjoying this alcoholic voyage of discovery.

I wonder if/when I'll stop thinking that wine comes in two flavours, red and white?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Many ciders are just apple juice with alcohol added.

I expect this Stella cider to be no different.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Aspells man myself. Cider from the makers of "Wifebeater" scared now

+1 for Aspalls.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Thatchers.

Gold preferably or the single variety ones like Katy, Spartan and Cox are also crackers.

Cornish Rattler is great if you want to feel like hammered sh!te the next morning
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Cornish Rattler is great if you want to feel like hammered sh!te the next morning

That one pint of cider I had in the last decade was in Cornwall and I did feel awful the next day. Maybe it was Rattler?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    mmmmmmm cider.....

I love old rosey!!

quite partial to a 'suicider' too :twisted:

the stella stuff looks a bit iffy, not in a hurry to try it.

there is an awesome cider bar near me in newton abbot called 'Ye Olde Cider Bar'. it is just amazing, all the ciders from around the country in proper kegs, nothing from tap. and its pretty cheap.

although i have a real love for brothers 'Toffee Apply Cider'!!! :oops: its just really easy to drink.

but scrumpy cider is my main love :)
  • there is an awesome cider bar near me in newton abbot called 'Ye Olde Cider Bar'.

I think I've had some great nights in there.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Word to the wise: the Stella Cidre is disgusting. Much like the rest of their output, IMO.

Doesn't suprise me.

I wonder if this was worse:
    WKD_Core_Apple_Cider_500ml.jpg

I'm normally a lager man, but I do like Westons, Thatchers, Green Goblin etc during the summer. None of that Strongbow/Magners(aka Strongbow on the rocks) nonsense though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • naffa
    naffa Posts: 126
    We have the world fampous 'Cider House' not too far away from us. The cider is great but the clientele most evenings arent, and this tiny pub in the country has become a hangout for chav's looking for trouble so sadly I haven't been there for a long time :cry: .
    You can buy the cider in some of the local shops now but the last time I enquired it was £10 for 2 litres :o
    Cheers Nathan.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    The end of the cold war brought an end to the availability of good scrumpy in the Highlands.

Why you ask? Well there used to be two Nimrod bases in the UK, Kinloss and St. Mawgan. Enterprising crews ensured a steady trade in cider going north and malt whisky going south. I remember one bar in Inverness acquired some scrumpy and word got around, the barman said it attracted a "strange type" into the bar!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Just the smell of cider turns my stomach
  • majestic do a westons cider makers choice case with

3 bottles old rosie
    3 bottles henry weston vintage
    3 bottle stowford press and
    3 bottles premium organic.

for just under £20 . lovely for a summers evening drink ( not all in one hit mind)

cornish Rattler is really nice and tastes like proper scrumpy should. A tour of Healeys cider farm is always worthwhile .

the special reserve cider is stunning.

the Pear Rattler is very nice too, a mix of perry ( pear Cider) and rattler.

the legless but smiling cider is also very good .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i had a cider a few weeks ago in Camino's in Kings cross. its a spanish cider (sider) and it was stunning. I cant remember the name though :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    This damn stuff is evil:

jacquesFruitCider.jpg

Why?

Tastes like bloody fruit cordial, so you sit there quaffing merrily away and then when it comes to standing up you find your legs are drunk. :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    yep that happened to me at a BBQ on saturday Kieran. Had two bottles of the stuff :oops:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I remember, just, buying a load of cider from the side of road on route to Glastonbury one year. £1 to fill up a 5 litre plastic bottle (bring your own bottle). Never had cider like it before or since. Come 5am watching the sun come up on Glastonbury Tor we couldn't give the stuff away, despite there being a couple of hundred cider drinking crustys on top of tor who would never normally say no to free drink.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5