Anyone get one of those free helmets in London this morning?

124»

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I was just about to tweet him about but prj45 had already done it
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    rjsterry wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    wtf has this got to do with the AA, they should concentrate on driver training.

His Twitter profile actually states:
    Hi I'm Edmund King, president of the AA. We look after the interests of motorists and have done since 1905.

Not all road users then, just motorists...

The clue is in the name. This seems to be echoing the comments the other day on another thread complaining that trade unions only looked after their members interests and not those of the general public.

Yeah it's fair enough, but once again you wouldn't expect the MCC to hand out head guards for rugby players or the CTC to give out helmets to rock climbers.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I'm strongly curious as to what the motivation is here.

This thread on facebook sums up why we should be very suspicious of this move:

http://www.facebook.com/no.helmet.law/p ... 8870140783

In particular this comment:
    The AA similarly to the RACV here in Victoria may have a double motive. One is to promote the idea that cycling is dangerous which is in their interests and the other is to absolve themselves of any guilt over their part in making the roads dangerous for cyclists. Our government did a similar thing 20 years ago when it brought in the first helmet law. It then decided it need do nothing else.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    conspiracy.jpg
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Bah ruddy London centric topic , why were they not waiting for me in the middle of the countryside for me to pass ? :lol:

You dont need helmets as cars can see you perfectly well whereas us country bumpkins need it to stop cow poo when we have a clipless moment .....
    FCN 3/5/9
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    northstar wrote:

Written by someone who has no skills for writing for the Web zzzzzzzzz
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    northstar wrote:

Yet they still make their point better than you ; )
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • thelawnet
    northstar wrote:

You wrote it? You really shouldn't put yourself down....
  • meanredspider
    Ha Ha............ :roll: :wink:

In all seriousness, nobody but the most committed is going to read all of that diatribe.

Compare and contrast with what's written on, say, the BBC website. Short, concise, paragraphs for starters. People will typically only read 1/3 of what they'd read on paper on the Web. That's War & Peace.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • thelawnet
    Ha Ha............ :roll: :wink:

In all seriousness, nobody but the most committed is going to read all of that diatribe.

Compare and contrast with what's written on, say, the BBC website. Short, concise, paragraphs for starters. People will typically only read 1/3 of what they'd read on paper on the Web. That's War & Peace.

pope-tldr.jpg
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqo4hwnJt6Y

Look at all the head injuries.... Not a cranium left uncracked :(

Cycling is dangerous, people...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    notsoblue wrote:

Interesting how few of them banged their heads. Biggest risk looked to be of wrist/forearm injuries!

Yeah, I wonder why the video doesn't include all the ambulances arriving and rushing the victims off to hospital?

I had one of these slips earlier this spring- grazed my knee quite badly, I did... I even had to buy some elastoplast! Ice, gotta love it... :-(

Cheers,
    W.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Interesting how few of them banged their heads. Biggest risk looked to be of wrist/forearm injuries!

Indeed, there should be a law requiring people to wear these at all times while cycling:

PRODESIGNWRIST.jpg

Yeah, I wonder why the video doesn't include all the ambulances arriving and rushing the victims off to hospital?

*mutter mutter* something about contributory negligence *mutter mutter* burden on the health service *mutter mutter*
  • meanredspider
    notsoblue wrote:

LMAO - some good skills there. Not a single one of them doing more than 5mph - surprising given the race-developed high-performance machinery they were using. They clearly had no idea of the risk either so were total unprepared too.

Helmet debate over!

Just off to jump up and down on my lid now....
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    notsoblue wrote:

Well if that video's not proof that cycling helmets are a complete waste of time then I don't know what is! :shock:

What a nice guy filming people injuring themselves rather than going out and putting some salt on the road. Then again, he probably chucked a bucket of water over that corner in the first place so that he could create his utterly hilarious, little film.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    notsoblue wrote:

That third girl in goes down well!
  • wgwarburton
    prj45 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

That third girl in goes down well!

I didn't notice that... Is she a receptionist?

Cheers,
    W.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Well if that video's not proof that cycling helmets are a complete waste of time then I don't know what is! :shock:

Well it was clearly a tongue in cheek post :P But I think it makes a point (to me at least) about people pootling about on roadsters (or boris bikes) really not needing protective headgear...
  • meanredspider
    notsoblue wrote:
    Well it was clearly a tongue in cheek post :P But I think it makes a point (to me at least) about people pootling about on roadsters (or boris bikes) really not needing protective headgear...

I know it was tongue-in-cheek but the footage makes no point at all. It's a bit like showing footage of Tesco car park dinks and saying that proves seatbelts are unnecessary. Where's the street furniture, the other vehicles, hills, any sort of speed etc? The fact alone that they fell off in such benign circumstances when they were clearly aware that there's the risk of ice tells you something. I honestly don't care if other people wear lids but this isn't proof of anything other than it's easy to fall off a bike on a corner covered in sheet ice.
  • wgwarburton
    notsoblue wrote:

I know it was tongue-in-cheek but the footage makes no point at all. It's a bit like showing footage of Tesco car park dinks and saying that proves seatbelts are unnecessary. Where's the street furniture, the other vehicles, hills, any sort of speed etc? The fact alone that they fell off in such benign circumstances when they were clearly aware that there's the risk of ice tells you something. I honestly don't care if other people wear lids but this isn't proof of anything other than it's easy to fall off a bike on a corner covered in sheet ice.

You really just don't get it, do you MRS? :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    And you wonder why everyone thinks you go on about it? :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • wgwarburton
    rjsterry wrote:
    And you wonder why everyone thinks you go on about it? :wink:

Oh no... I know why everyone thinks I go on about it! :-)

I'll wear them down, though... sooner or later they'll realise that they can't just post nonsense and get away with it... They will! I tell you, they WILL!!!

*sob*

Cheers,
    W.
  • notsoblue

The fact here is that an icey road is probably the most dangerous, violent, life threatening circumstance that a cyclist pootling on a roadster in a city is ever likely to encounter that may remotely require a helmet. If you can't see that then theres little I can do to convince you of my point of view other than flying you down to London and riding to hyde park to get some ice cream and feed the ducks on a Boris bike.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    :lol: A one man crusade to save the internet, one forum at a time!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition