Bike Shops around Lake Garda ?

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Anyone know if their are some good bike shops in the area - I am taking the road bike with me for a week and want to check out some nice italian clober :D

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,610
    I can't be specific but yes,.....many - There is a "famous" cafe stop/bike shop in the town that is one town North or Riva del Garda that is a bit of a haunt for lycra louts. I usually go there for the sailing so never have much time to bike :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Francesco Moser has (or at least had the last time I was there) a shop at the Northern end of the lake - in Arco.( There used to be a second Moser shop in Torbole, but it may be gone now). There was also the Carpentari shop in Torbole.
    Rovereto had a fairly good bike shop but the name escapes me now.
    Many of the small clothes shops in the area used to sell non-branded cycling kit - usually matching jersey and shorts - for reasonable money.

Bear in mind that as a major tourist area, bargains can be a bit limited.

If you are up at Riva, try the Santa Barbara climb between Arco / Vignoles, through Ronzo and down to Mori.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • hows about Mecki "fucking perfect bike" in Torbole

http://www.mecki.com/homepage_eng.htm
    2010 Giant Rapid 2
    2010 Kona Jake
    2011 Cube AMS Comp
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    I recall a shop Malcesine too. On the main road close to the bottom of the cable car.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Just stayed there a few weeks ago (in Desenzano on the south shore). There were several bike shops around. Went into one really nice one on the main road heading north and east of the south).
  • neil3072
    neil3072 Posts: 24
    there is one just outside of peschiera heading out towards bardolino, or try the local markets- in peschiera on monday there is a market stall selling quality branded cycling gear such as santini and also team jerseys.
    winter sprinte
    brian robinson chalenge
    licoln grand prix
    le terrier
    gybr
    bill bradley memorail
    cross pennine 100
    york 100

Focus Variado 2010 Expert Triple
    Pinnacle Sentinel 1.0
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    neil3072 wrote:
    there is one just outside of peschiera heading out towards bardolin

I think that's the one I'm talking about! Long-haired young guy working there with a kick-ass motorbike. (Of course, it depends on how long ago you were there).
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Michael Rasmussen's shop
    http://www.loslocosbikeshop.com/index.html
    Just about all of the largish villages/towns seemed to have a bike shop - market also have 1 or 2 bike stalls.
    I can quickly think of others on Bardolina (Olympic), Malcesine a couple (1 up near the cable car that had lovely KTM frames)
    Love this area myself. I've headed NE of Torbole and climbed the Passo Folgaria - a beast.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Thanks for all the reply`s guys - Looks like i better take some extra euro`s :D
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    neil3072 wrote:
    there is one just outside of peschiera heading out towards bardolino, or try the local markets- in peschiera on monday there is a market stall selling quality branded cycling gear such as santini and also team jerseys.

Bought a track pump there two years ago. Best track pump I've used, cost me twenty euros!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

There are some really good Colnago related videos at the bottom of the first page.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Re riding in the area - if I was again staying at the North end on the East side of the lake as I did 1 year then I'd retry both the Folgaria climb which is NE of Rovereto and up to Lago di Cei, which I recall having a total beast of a climb at one point, 33% seems to ring a bell, which sounds ridiculous but I remember seeing a gradient sign which I laughed at as I crept up the road. Fantastic scenery.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    If you decide, as I did, to ride around the lake, about 90 miles all told I think, make sure you take some lights with you. The tunnels on the west side, below Riva are pitch black and very, very scary indeed. Riding through them unilluminated is probably one of my daftest moments. Lucky to survive. :( :oops: