I'm new to this pedal power lark :D

Cog Head
Cog Head Posts: 53
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
hi, im Brad, im from Tamworth in staffs.
im new to all this pedal power stuff, im used to riding super bikes :D and im a complete adrenaline junkie, petrol head... anything with wheels, that's expensive, fast and dangerous... im in :D

since starting my new job, i always have lots of spare time on the evenings, and since my new job means i no longer do much physical work, i seem to be gaining weight! so, since ive always wanted a proper mountain bike, i started to read reviews for entry level bikes upto £600, and i come across the Carrera Fury, all the reviews seem to be pretty good, and the spec sheet seems to impress people who know what it all means (im very new to this)
so i went to Halfrauds last night, and had a sit on one, and spoke to the lad there who was very helpful, i wanted to look at the bourdman comp, which was £650, and he explained that the bikes are essentially identical, apart from the slightly better frame and the swanky stickers. so i went with the Carrera.
got it home and built it myself, copper graced EVERYTHING, so it dosent go rusty when i get it filthy. 8)

i went out for my first outing today after work, i think i covered about 4 miles, i didnt realise how easy it is to cover ground on one of these! :shock: i went through some fields, and up a big hill where ive seen others on MTB's on some little trails, but to my absolute joy, when i turned around from admiring the view from the top of the hill, i noticed that all the wind had escaped from my rear tyre... :cry: but i got some wind back in with my little pump i got with the bike, and got the old man to come pick me up in the van... o well... ill get a repair kit and try again i think... ounce my arse has stopped hurting :shock:

anyways, here's some pic's of today's antics

photorx.th.jpg
photo11v.th.jpg
photo10f.th.jpg
photo9k.th.jpg
photo1fd.th.jpg
photo8fg.th.jpg
photo7jn.th.jpg
photo6qm.th.jpg
photo5wv.th.jpg
photo3w.th.jpg

Comments

• GAZAMAN77
    GAZAMAN77 Posts: 44
    I think your front crud catcher is the wrong way round mate :twisted: . Other than that though, looking good! :D
  • Cog Head
    ha ha, you get extra man points for having it that way round :lol: i did wonder when i was fitting it.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Cog Head wrote:
    ha ha, you get extra man points for having it that way round :lol: i did wonder when i was fitting it.
    :lol: They're great bikes are they? Mines doing really well, though i'm dreaming of a full sus which I'll never be able to afford for quite a few years. You'll be going for further afield in no time. Your butt will need a few rides to get accustomed to being in a saddle and then if it's still not comfortable, get some padded shorts and change the saddle. I changed the original because it wasn't comfy to a Charge Spoon. That wasn't right so a Fizik Gobi is on there, it's quite nice.
  • Cog Head
    i actually read your thread last night before i went and got one, so im blaming you ... :wink:

they seem great fun, i spent last night wheelying, well trying to wheelie up and down the street, and just messing around with it.
    just a quick one, did your front disc rub slightly when it was new? my front wheel wont spin any more than 1 turn, makes great fun on landing wheelies!

already thinking about getting tubeless, i dont like punctures, as i found out earlier
    i can see me being out on it all weekend... if my ass can take any more punishment!
  • Mr OCD
    Mr OCD Posts: 382
    Cog Head wrote:
    i actually read your thread last night before i went and got one, so im blaming you ... :wink:

they seem great fun, i spent last night wheelying, well trying to wheelie up and down the street, and just messing around with it.
    just a quick one, did your front disc rub slightly when it was new? my front wheel wont spin any more than 1 turn, makes great fun on landing wheelies!

already thinking about getting tubeless, i dont like punctures, as i found out earlier
    i can see me being out on it all weekend... if my ass can take any more punishment!

Great bikes ;)

Disk rubbing ... no it shouldn't ... the caliper is not aligned properly... loosen caliper bolts so caliper can move ... spin wheel... hit front brake with lever gently then hold whilst you tighten the caliper bolts up... Sorted :)
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Cog Head wrote:
    :lol: They're great bikes are they? Mines doing really well, though i'm dreaming of a full sus which I'll never be able to afford for quite a few years. You'll be going for further afield in no time. Your butt will need a few rides to get accustomed to being in a saddle and then if it's still not comfortable, get some padded shorts and change the saddle. I changed the original because it wasn't comfy to a Charge Spoon. That wasn't right so a Fizik Gobi is on there, it's quite nice.

I thought exactly the same when i took up biking again in august then split up with the missus and by february i was riding around on a brand new Commencal Meta 5.5 and trust me when i say i've had more fun riding the meta in 2 months than i ever did in 5 years riding the EX :D
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • getonyourbike
    Mr OCD wrote:
    Cog Head wrote:

Great bikes ;)

Disk rubbing ... no it shouldn't ... the caliper is not aligned properly... loosen caliper bolts so caliper can move ... spin wheel... hit front brake with lever gently then hold whilst you tighten the caliper bolts up... Sorted :)
    the front brake caliper needed aligning properly on mnie but the rear suffers from sticky pistons. I'll sort it when I need to change teh brake apds.
  • getonyourbike
    Cog Head wrote:
    :lol: I really don't know how my thread is still going and it's got to 14 pages!
  • Cog Head
    ive been and shelled out on 2 nice shiney new slimified inner tubes, the canals near me have just been chopped, so theres thrones everywhere!

when i was fitting the tubes, i had both wheels out, and sussed the front, it now spins widly and free... like a hippy 8)
    but my rear goes like a good-un, no problems there.

what you want to do with sticky pistons is what ive done with all my road bikes (engine powered) you get a little paint brush and some red rubber greace, and push the pistons out as far as you dare, or pop em out completely if your brave like me :roll: and cover everything with it... if it works on motorbikes, im pretty damn sure it will work on push bikes

i dont think im almost nearely good enough to need a full sus, but i dont thin the english dictionary can describe how badly i want one... time will tell ay...

your thread is like terminator... just keeps on going, isnt it almost 2 years old now :shocked: but its shown me what i can get for ones fury

well, whenever i wake up tomorrow morning/afternoon im going to force myself to go for a run to Hopwas woods (Tamworth) ive heard someones been up there with a mini digger and made some nice jumps and suff... sounds like great fun... so im going to see if i cant break some bones tomorrow :twisted:

thanks for all the replys, much appreciated.
  • getonyourbike
    Cog Head- It was only started last december. It's only 6 months old.

The sticky pistons, all you do is pull the lever a touch and put a little bit of light lube on the pistons, push them back in and repeat.