Freehub advice

Triggaboy
Triggaboy Posts: 33
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My freehub died yesterday after only 12 months use on my Spesh Hardrock Pro 2010 which I admit gets a fair hammering from both cross country riding in the lakes once a month and an 80mile commute every week.

I'm not sure if its worth placing the hub with something better maybe with sealed bearings due to the fact I've had to service the current rear hub twice with new bearings because of moisture ingress.

I have never done a wheel build before and would just leave it to my LBS which will obviously cost a few quid or should I just replace the freehub body for far less and just accept the servicing and replacement of freehubs fairly regularly?

Any advice appreciated to help me make the decision and get me rolling again?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Easiest way is to buy another hub the same, swap the freehub over and use the rest of the bits as spares or to service the bearings/cones etc in your current wheel (assuming the races in the hub are OK).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Triggaboy
    Triggaboy Posts: 33
    I've stripped the hub down and now found the cup on the drive side has some pitting so I'm guessing the hub will need to be replaced so as the hub is a Spesh Stout I fancy upgrading to something a bit more reliable and hardwearing.

Any suggestions as I've looked at new wheels also and spotted these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-XC-Freeride-D ... 5ad24fe442 which seemed like a good deal or would I better choosing a hub and getting my hoop laced to it and keeping my front as it is? [/img][/url]