Dartmoor - Princetown and Burrator, ok for a newb?

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited April 2011 in Routes
Off to Devon at the end of May for a family holiday, so I thought I'd take the bikes and explore Dartmoor.

Only thing is I'll have the wife with me, who is not so confident on a bike, plus I'll be on my rigid Iron Horse, so looking for fairly tame route to keep her happy and my wrists intact.

The Princetown-Burrator route seems to be regarded as easy, but is that easy from an experienced riders point of view or is it suitable for all?

I'm estimating 2.5 - 3 hours to complete, bearing in mind we won't be that quick and will prob have a snack break half way round.

As an aside, any other quick routes (around an hour) I can do on my own? I'm no black run slayer, but am happy with most things a trail centre can provide. That said I will be on the aforementioned cheap rigid and am hugely unfit following some pretty extensive surgery last month, so preferably wheels on the ground rather than full on dh pyjama suit lunacy.
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• delaxm
    delaxm Posts: 180
    Yes, I'd say its fairly easy, but it can be a drag if the wind is against you on the climb.
    There are a fair few rain bars that run across the trail between Princetown & Nuns cross but you should be ok if you take them slowly.
    Also if you don't fancy the widowmaker decent (turn right @ Nuns cross) you can go straight on & drop down past the scout hut into Sheepstor then follow the lanes to Burrator dam (makes it about 16 miles rather than 12)
    This is the ruins of Foggintor quarry in January
    5581409557_4784f09b1e_b_d.jpg