IS Mount, Facing Needed?

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Installed my brothers M595 brakes today and I think the IS mounts on the fork need facing. When tightening the caliper bolts the caliper turns a fraction. This results in the top on the inside pad to rub, but if I look down the caliper from the front I can see the bottom of the pad isn't toughing but the top is. If I move the caliper over a fraction the bottom of the outside pad catches a little bit. Done the same on the Stroker Rydes he had before until the pads had worn a little.

So does it sound like the mount needs facing?

Wheel is straight.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Would a shim washer not sort it out? I thought that's how you fitted IS brakes.
  • wheelygood
    wheelygood Posts: 101
    It is always best to face IS mounts to make sure they are flat as can be. LBS should do it for you for a few pounds.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but as it is a post mount calliper can not this movement be take out on the post mounts?

sounds like more adjustment is needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    try using shims - if you don't have have any, make your own from coca-cola can (0.1 mm thickness) using a 6 mm drill for the hole and then cut out with sharp scissors.

works for me and is simples..