Cornwall ?

2»

Comments

• beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    da goose wrote:
    Blimey those comments about St Awfull are a little harsh...
    Yes its poor economically and Cornwall always has been,but its getting better,.....honest!
    I don`t really want to blab on about Eden which in reality has brought wealth to so few, well Mr Smit really!!!
    But his creation at Helligan is a great day out, and look a little closer as others have said...The Roseland area`s beaches match any in the world, the North coast has a beauty of its own,and it takes a brave soul not to enjoy rugged west Cornwall`s mythic charm.

Oh yeah, if you are riding make sure you have the legs lungs and gears?
    Enjoy......

:lol::lol::lol:

Other than the scale of the place and the tropical biosphere in particular Eden's a dissappointment.
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    I would like to add Sharps Proper Job as a beer recommendation. Nice light beer, ideal for lunchtimes :D
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    Eden......beverick you are spot on...I feel sorry for an average family of 4 `spending` a day out at Eden...expensive at the gate food even more so and in reality seen once,no requirement to return.
    Some of the summer concerts are pretty cool I guess with a small venue feel, yet in a large arena...again you need a fair wedge to enjoy it.
    The worst thing is its creator now trying to put input into the eco towns!!!
    Cringe...thats an understatement! :evil:
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    thegibdog wrote:
    I'm a regular down to Padstow, love the place. Especially hopping across to Rock and enjoying a pint or two of Doom Bar.

Back there for Easter, with the bike this time.
    Do you know any good routes? Will be down there with my girlfriend and bikes the week after Easter.
    Padstow to St Ives - 50 Miles, 3500ft of climbing. The routes a doddle if you avoid the A30, only one other way to do it. Worth a go.
    Cheers, will probably give that a go, I'll just keep the sea on my right and I can't go wrong... Looks like a similar amount of climbing I'd do on a hilly route up here but just split over 20-odd hills!
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Slack wrote:
    Newquay is grotty. Bude is boring. Padstow is owned by a cartel and also has nothing going for it. St Ives is quaint but full of overpriced pretentious restaurants. The coastline is great though. My fav is St Ives Bay, Godrevey ( I am surfer though). Not been to the giant greenhouse yet, despite living relatively nearby in Plymouth.

If you dislike Cornwall that much you must hate living in Plymouth because that place is a s****hole! x
  • rjh299 wrote:
    Slack wrote:
    Newquay is grotty. Bude is boring. Padstow is owned by a cartel and also has nothing going for it. St Ives is quaint but full of overpriced pretentious restaurants. The coastline is great though. My fav is St Ives Bay, Godrevey ( I am surfer though). Not been to the giant greenhouse yet, despite living relatively nearby in Plymouth.

If you dislike Cornwall that much you must hate living in Plymouth because that place is a s****hole! x

its that Janner attitude .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    Cornwall is a great place to live and i count myself lucky that i'm not stuck in a busy city somewhere.

yes there are crappy areas to cornwall but most places have thier rough parts. In general its a fantastic county and the only other place i've been that compares for natural beauty is the New Forest.
  • rjh299
    Just like to say how stunning Cornwall looked today. Gweek, Mullion, Poldhu Cove, Porthleven, St Michaels Mount, St Ives and Godrevy all visited and looking good in the handsome weather!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Heading down there this weekend for 2 weeks - staying between Sennen and St Just. Been coming down to Cornwall for over 15 years, but normally head towards Looe so this will be the first time to stay down the other end. As usual, I'll be bringing my cross bike, a set of road and offroad tyres plus my climbing legs! Got my route planned for Wills'n'Kate day already (hope it stays warm and dry!)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    Come on down...a day of splendour today...sea like a mirror 20 degrees on the road and a fair few bikes out...looking good for Easter...a miracle...! :o
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Heading down there this weekend for 2 weeks - staying between Sennen and St Just. Been coming down to Cornwall for over 15 years, but normally head towards Looe so this will be the first time to stay down the other end. As usual, I'll be bringing my cross bike, a set of road and offroad tyres plus my climbing legs! Got my route planned for Wills'n'Kate day already (hope it stays warm and dry!)
    The road from St Just to St Ives, past Gurnard's Head and Zennor, is one of my favourite roads of all, anywhere. Enjoy.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    I love Cornwall: my wife's originally from Camborne (or "near Truro" if she thinks you might know Camborne's reputation). :lol:

Agree on Philp's for pasties, though the shop in Portreath is good too. Love St Ives and all the Tate arty-stuff (Barbara Hepworth etc), and the scenery of Penwith. Saffron buns, Gwithian beach, Roskilly's...

We're off there next week, in fact. It'll be crammed with [other] tourists but hey-ho.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    When you lot who have responded to this thread mention tourists, do you mean other english people or people fom other parts of Europe?
    Finished
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Why do you ask?

I've never noticed huge amounts of European tourists in Cornwall (unlike, say, the Scottish Highlands which are very popular with the French and Dutch). But lots of other British people (I'm Scottish).

Perhaps a local could give a better idea.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    rjh299 wrote:
    Slack wrote:

I don't actually hate Cornwall - I love how the beaches mingle into the countryside. It's better closer you get to Lands End in my opinion. I was just pointing out the negative bits.

Yes, Plymouth is quite poor. I'm originally West Sussex, so not a Janner. There are some quite nice spots around Plymouth, and I love the daytime and evening atmosphere around the historic parts.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    Nax-ian wrote:
    When you lot who have responded to this thread mention tourists, do you mean other english people or people fom other parts of Europe?

If you are Cornish, everyone who's not Cornish is a "foreigner" or "emmit". (A grockle in Devon I think).
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I'll be down again 29/30/1April/May - Will be riding down from Bude to Land's End on Sat if the weather stays good.
  • nax-ian
    @ Blim
    It's a prospective business thang
    Finished
  • rjh299
    Nax-ian wrote:

If you are Cornish, everyone who's not Cornish is a "foreigner" or "emmit". (A grockle in Devon I think).

Anything over the Tamar!
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Just had a great few days in Cornwall. Bude, Widemouth Bay, Boscastle, Tintagel down to Newquay, back up to Constantine Bay and a few nights in Padstow. Lovely place. Reminds you that when the weather is good this place can contend with the best of them. A few stills taken with my small camera as I was 'travelling light'. If you are thinking of going, go, its a lovely place.

5643069459_351fa91659.jpg

5643070687_558f204492.jpg

5643089171_ddcdc7255f.jpg

5643725840_2ccf14c023.jpg

5643677484_40a2d715a2.jpg

5643690048_2e34edded9.jpg

5643093783_4700da329e.jpg
  • cruiser33
    cruiser33 Posts: 464
    I moved down there from Kent for work in 1996, absolutely loved it but came back to Kent after less than 4 yrs for personal reasons..............will regret that forever. Favourite memory is walking the `Rocky Valley` near Tintagel on a sunny Summer day; would recommend that to anyone going to Cornwall.
    Kent........The Garden of England!!!!!!
  • nax-ian
    lovin' them shots Bristolpete.
    Really stirrin' up the juices.
    Is there much of a "chav" element down there anyone?
    Finished
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Some lovely pictures Pete, as ever. You had fun post-processing!

Nax-ian: many cornish towns are poor and offer little opportunities: there are bored youths, as anywhere else, if that's what you mean.
  • rjh299
    Few chavs around town centres like Truro, Redruth, Cambourne, St Austell, but not majorly. The towns aren't really that big anyway. A lot of the chavs are the emits that come down on holiday. Newquay is a nightmare in the summer, night and day. If your out on your bike then you shouldn't be around the towns though, the coast is where you want to be. I rarely go to any of the towns mentioned, Truro maybe for shopping but that's it. Stick to the scenic areas and you'll be happy.