Bike Stolen

mattsaw
mattsaw Posts: 907
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
One of the guys from the office next door came into our office this morning to say he'd seem someone riding-off on my bike.

It was locked on a rack directly outside our office, and we're right at the end of a secuded mews so it certainly wasn't an opportunist.

Our network guy and a designer took off on their fixie and BMX in the same direction and managed to corner him around a mile down the road, and by being very load and shouty at him he dropped the bike and took off into Hammersmith.

Bike back safe and sound :) I've never felt a bigger sensation of relief as returning dejected from my own fruitless search I saw it back in the bike rack. - Christ I was lucky!

Kudos to the police as well as while we were all out hunting for the thief one guy called the police and within minutes they joined us in the search. There were a couple of plain-clothes guys on foot, a car and another on a bike. They took it really seriously and even after the bike was recoved they drove our network guy around looking for the thief.
Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
Strava

Comments

• Good to have a happy ending. Make sure you tuck your bike in well tonight, she must have had quite a fright.

Good effort to the designer catching a Bianchi on a BMX, by the way, even if it was being ridden by a scrote.
  • mattsaw
    Good effort to the designer catching a Bianchi on a BMX, by the way, even if it was being ridden by a scrote.

Hes pretty quick, although it did take a few minutes to get his breath back. I think the clipless pedals slowed the guy down quite a bit as well, apparently when he took off on foot he was far faster than he had been on the bike.
    Strava
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Excellent stuff! Its times like this that I back Sharia Law.

/Asprilla goes down to basement car park to check on pride and joy
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Best stolen bike story I've heard in a while! Congrats on getting the bike back and it was awesome of the people you work with to give chase.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    nice one, some good news. Well done to the people who helped out.

Order a whacking great lock today as that thief might try it again in a few weeks when you are back in routine.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    sweet congrats mate!!

how was your bike locked up?

when i was at school ('96) we all parked our bikes at the bike sheds all together our school was split between two seperate buildings of about 600 yards between them, one day a van turned up snipped through most of the bikes chains an threw the bikes in the van and drove off leaving mine and another bike, but taking about 8 others

i was lucky that day!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited April 2011
    Phew! Scary.
    When I first read that, I read BMX as BMW and wondered why UE was impressed that a BMW caught up with a Bianchi (there again, in London traffic, that would be impressive).

Time for a lock upgrade methinks.
    I use one of these as a secondary lock as I like to think that the 110dB alarm will deafen any scrotes tampering with my steed.
    How did the thief defeat your lock?

Glad you got your bike back. I think you owe BMX man a drink.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Well done those men!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Great story, glad you got it back. Hopefully one of you will spot the thief later and they'll get collared.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    sounds like the BMX guy was in on it.
  • EKE_38BPM

Eh? The only way I can see the BMX guy being in on it and actually getting a benefit is if he then recommends a lock to the OP and has an interest in the sale of the lock.

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Eh? The only way I can see the BMX guy being in on it and actually getting a benefit is if he then recommends a lock to the OP and has an interest in the sale of the lock.

Ah, the long con? It's a lot of effort for 10% commission on the sale though :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    you can never trust a fully grown man on a BMX.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Glad to here your bike was recovered and that the police were supportive in catching this person.

However it was in Hammersmith and the police do seem to be quite active around there.

Don't think the BMX guy was in on it at all.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mattsaw
    The bike was only locked with a bog standard chain and padlock. Since we're so secluded with gates and CCTV and a good 200m off of the road I stupidly assumed it was safe.

http://img853.imageshack.us/i/76382190.png/

So this weekend I'll be investing in a big chunky lock.
    Strava
  • EKE_38BPM
    Mattsaw wrote:
    The bike was only locked with a bog standard chain and padlock.
    So only secure against opportunist dirt bags, not tooled up dirt bags.
    Mattsaw wrote:
    So this weekend I'll be investing in a big chunky lock.
    Have a read of the link I posted. Quite a few of the posters on there are cycle couriers and their livelihood depends on their bikes so they need locks they can trust.
    No lock is inflalible, its all about how long they resist attack for. If your bike is in a secluded position that just gives a thief the chance to work in peace. Hopefully my 110dB alarm will shatter that peace.

• mattsaw
    That's the thing, whan I say secluded I mean secluded from the road, it's right up against our glass fronted office as well as many other offices on three sides.He walked past about 5 people as well as around 200 people inside the offices before the bike could even be seen. Thats one of the reasons I don't think it was opportunist. I can't believe he had the balls to try it!

A few people realised what was happening which is why we were told so quickly what had happened and had the chance to catch up with him.

I'll check out your link though - cheers, I know most locks aren't 100% secure, but anything that would need woking on for a couple of minutes would have meant he would have been seen.
    Strava
  • EKE_38BPM
    Mattsaw wrote:
    That's the thing, whan I say secluded I mean secluded from the road, it's right up against our glass fronted office as well as many other offices on three sides.He walked past about 5 people as well as around 200 people inside the offices before the bike could even be seen. Thats one of the reasons I don't think it was opportunist. I can't believe he had the balls to try it!

A few people realised what was happening which is why we were told so quickly what had happened and had the chance to catch up with him.

I'll check out your link though - cheers, I know most locks aren't 100% secure, but anything that would need woking on for a couple of minutes would have meant he would have been seen.

No lock is 100% secure. Its just a matter of time and tools.

And balls, you can't forget balls!

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Phew! Scary.
    When I first read that, I read BMX as BMW and wondered why UE was impressed that a BMW caught up with a Bianchi (there again, in London traffic, that would be impressive).

Time for a lock upgrade methinks.

Was just looking at those, 'Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock', hmm that sounds good, mini, must be light:

'Weight: 2.09 Kg'

Eh???

I use one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BICYCLE-SHACKLE-L ... 0588402977
    weight is 429grams

Not great admittedly, but a lot better than the nasty cables a lot of people use.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I suppose it depends on how much you want to keep your bike?
    A bottle jack would probably make short work of that, or maybe a butter knife. I don't know, I'm not a thief.

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I suppose it depends on how much you want to keep your bike?
    A bottle jack would probably make short work of that, or maybe a butter knife. I don't know, I'm not a thief.

Well there are enough bikes locked with poundland cables that you can go through with a butter knife (or a pair of cable cutters at least) about someone with a bottle jack.

My bikes is rather conspicuous, wouldn't be the best thing to steal anyway.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Nice to hear a bike theft story with a happy ending!

Saw something dodgy this morning, was a chap who looked like a builder, in scruffy clothes, riding a green carbon BMC. He was awkwardly pedalling the clipless pedals with scruffy trainers and there were two old takeaway coffee cups in the carbon bottle holders. Was clearly nicked, I was tempted to ask him if it was his. I should have really.
  • EKE_38BPM
    notsoblue wrote:

Saw something dodgy this morning, was a chap who looked like a builder, in scruffy clothes, riding a green carbon BMC. He was awkwardly pedalling the clipless pedals with scruffy trainers and there were two old takeaway coffee cups in the carbon bottle holders. Was clearly nicked, I was tempted to ask him if it was his. I should have really.

I imagine the conversation going something like this:

NSB: "Nice bike, where did you get it?"
    Builder: "Got it from a bloke down the pub. Why'd you ask?"
    NSB: "I was wondering how much a nice bike like that would cost."
    Builder: "Well the bloke wanted £50 but I talked him down to £25 coz the pedals are rubbish. I mean, just look at them! Good cup holders though. Costa me up!"

• tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    maybe lock it closer to the street? if there are people constantly passing by, it would be safer.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    thelawnet wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I use one of these:

weight is 429grams

confused shipping on that link

WE DO NOT SHIP TO

Northern Ireland, Southern Ireland, British Isles, Channel Isles, All other isles off the mainland

ONLY MAINLAND UK DELIVERIES ONLY

Since when was the MAINLAND not part of teh British Isles?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • EKE_38BPM
    t4tomo wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I use one of these:

weight is 429grams

confused shipping on that link

WE DO NOT SHIP TO

Northern Ireland, Southern Ireland, British Isles, Channel Isles, All other isles off the mainland

ONLY MAINLAND UK DELIVERIES ONLY

Since when was the MAINLAND not part of teh British Isles?

Maybe geography wasn't their stongest subject at school but they delivered to me OK and I live on a small island in the North Atlantic, about 30 miles off the coast of Europe.

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I imagine the conversation going something like this:

NSB: "Nice bike, where did you get it?"
    Builder: "Got it from a bloke down the pub. Why'd you ask?"
    NSB: "I was wondering how much a nice bike like that would cost."
    Builder: "Well the bloke wanted £50 but I talked him down to £25 coz the pedals are rubbish. I mean, just look at them! Good cup holders though. Costa me up!"

:lol: I reckon thats an accurate prediction!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Buy your network guy a beer.

Sounds like a legend.
  • EKE_38BPM
    If he was riding a BMX he may not be old enough to drink. Get him a nice sweetie instead.

• mattsaw
    Buy your network guy a beer.

Sounds like a legend.

I spent £20 on chocolate brownies for him, he's far happier with those :wink:
    Strava