Groupset advise - Shimano 105 vs Shimano Tiagra vs SRAM Apex

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi

I am looking to get a new bike, the specs are all pretty similar except for the groupsets on each.

the Shimano 105 bike is the most expensive (by about £200) but is also slightly lighter, and the other two are about the same price.

which would you go for if they both ride and feel as good as each other?

I'm a road bike newbie so go easy on me!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    As far as I am concerned, 105 and Tiagra feel the same to me.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Can you link the 3 bikes?

Without seeing the total package it's hard to say what I'd recommend.

I'd avoid 9 speed tiagra - old technology etc.

The new (5700) 105 is great, definitely better than Apex (imo), but I don't it is worth an extra £200, but there maybe other bits on the bike to justify this.

Also, are these full groupsets or are they using cheaper brakes / chainsets?
  • danowat
    dawebbo wrote:
    The new (5700) 105 is great, definitely better than Apex (imo), but I don't it is worth an extra £200, but there maybe other bits on the bike to justify this.

Definately better?, how so?.

I have 3 bikes, Tiagra, 105 and SRAM Rival, I can't say with any conviction that any one is "definately better" than the other.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd avoid 9 speed tiagra - old technology etc.

+1

Doesn't the new 105 route all the cables under the bar tape? I didn't think Tiagra did. Looks a lot cleaner.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    We have both in our family and I can tell the difference between tiagra and (old, 5600) 105. I prefer the 105 by about £200 haha.
    see danowat, above, for a contrary view.
    the bottom line is that you need to ride them , on a turbo in a shop would be fine, and see what you think.
  • chris_bass
    Hi

thanks for the replies.

The bikes are various models of the specialized Allez's and Secteurs. the main reason for going for these is we have a specialized concept store very nearby and not many other decent bike shops so the after care they can offer is swaying my descision. Plus i quite like spec bikes :)

i'll definitely be trying them out before i buy just wanted to see what people thought!
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    danowat wrote:
    dawebbo wrote:

definitely better?, how so?.

I have 3 bikes, Tiagra, 105 and SRAM Rival, I can't say with any conviction that any one is "definitely better" than the other.

This is caveated by the mighty "imo", and I've ridden 105 more than apex. But I found the brakes more responsive, the shifters feel more sturdy and the apex cranks felt squishy. And again "imo" 105 looks nicer.
  • I couldn't get on with Sram as the hoods didn't feel right to me. Don't get me wrong, it shifted very well when set up correctly, it is deffo more mechanical and a tad more precise then Shimano.

Having said that I went back to Shimano as the hoods suited me better. Started off with Ultegra 6700, and thought the finish of the components was more refined along with the shifting. I moved that Gset to my summer bike and purchased 105 5700 for the winter hack.

To be honest with you, although the tart in me likes the look of Ultegra and think it looks better on the bike than 105, the shifting with 105 is just as good albeit without as definate 'click' when shifting.

I really, really like the new 105.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you're looking at three similar bikes pay attention to the wheels each comes with and what they weigh. You can find surprising differences.

You can't go far wrong with an Allez / Secteur.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • danowat
    From an asthetical view,I think SRAM looks nicer, I also like the way it shifts more positivly than shimano (although it has less tendency for triming and feathering), other than that, its really much of a muchness, and I don't get on either bike thinking I'd be prefering to ride a different groupset.

Best bet is to try and ride them all.
  • chris_bass
    thanks for the tip about the wheels.

here are the bikes i am considering:
    Allez Comp or Elite:
    http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/Detail/11Allez/Allez/Allez%20Comp%20Compact%20105
    Secteur omp or Elite:
    http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/detail/11Secteur/Secteur

if i spend over £1000 then i get 10% to spend on accessories and i'll need pedals/shoes etc so it essentially knocks 10% off the price, just something to take into consideration when comparing :)

What would people go for?
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    thanks for the tip about the wheels.

here are the bikes i am considering:
    Allez Comp or Elite:
    http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/Detail/11Allez/Allez/Allez%20Comp%20Compact%20105
    Secteur omp or Elite:
    http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/detail/11Secteur/Secteur

if i spend over £1000 then i get 10% to spend on accessories and i'll need pedals/shoes etc so it essentially knocks 10% off the price, just something to take into consideration when comparing :)

What would people go for?

If I had that sort of money and didn't want a carbon frame, I'd seriously be looking at spending it here:

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2106
  • chris_bass
    i'm leaning towards spec because the spec shop is very close to me and so the after care and everything they offer would be very valuable to me too! just for if things go wrong or need replacing.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    i'm leaning towards spec because the spec shop is very close to me and so the after care and everything they offer would be very valuable to me too! just for if things go wrong or need replacing.

Hairy muff.
  • chris_bass
    Chris Bass wrote:

Hairy muff.

haha!!

i am test riding them tomorrow so will reort back afterwards!
  • chris_bass
    I was mainly going for specialized because of the handiness of the store and the after care. I also have a cycle surgery store and an evans cycles store nearby, does anyone know if either of these stores are good for service/aftercare? and could recommend any of the bikes they stock (for between £800 to £1200ish)
  • Cant speak for their service but in that price range I'd be tempted by Cannondale. You will get a million and one replies saying 'this brand is better, no this one is' etc.

Take your money, go to the shop, select the bikes you like the look of, ride them and decide and buy.

Simples.
  • chris_bass
    I tried a few out today Nd likes the feel of the secteur and managed to find a 2010 comp model in the right size so going to go for that, saved £350 :-)
  • Look. You want a lighter and better groupset. Switch to SRAM Rival. You can get them on eBay for about the same price as 105 or even cheaper.