Spectacular Dismount

bibib
bibib Posts: 25
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Does anyone else enjoy dismounting your bike whilst still moving slightly?
Probably easier for me as I don't use anyform of clip at the moment.

Obviously, you only do it in safe situations.

I tend to do it at the last set of traffic lights (if red) before I get off my bike to walk the last 50meters up the street.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Last spectacular dismount I did was also at traffic lights, when a ped stepped out in front of me whilst my light was green.

Hard on the anchors, back wheel somes up and I unclip, step over the rappidly dipping handle bars and trot to a halt whilst the bike does a full back flip and lands next to me.

Rest assured none of the actions were conscious decisons.

Pedestrians continue on their way, unimpressed by my acrobatics. Tough crowd.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bibib
    bibib Posts: 25
    Asprilla wrote:
    Last spectacular dismount I did was also at traffic lights, when a ped stepped out in front of me whilst my light was green.

Hard on the anchors, back wheel somes up and I unclip, step over the rappidly dipping handle bars and trot to a halt whilst the bike does a full back flip and lands next to me.

You should have got a round of applause!
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    You see lots of this stuff around Shoreditch. Although I think the more accurate term is crashing! :P
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    bibib wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

You should have got a round of applause!

What I should have got was the twunt in question to pay for a scratched shifter and some shredded bar tape.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Asprilla wrote:

Sounds like a move to Covent Garden (bring a hat) is required. The crowd expects stunts
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    I can happily freewheel the last 50 yards of my commute, on the way in, so whilst doing so I flip my right leg round the bag and across in such a way that I'm riding side saddle. I then brake and simultaneously jump off the left hand side of the bike as the bike goes up the lip of the curb onto the pavement.

No idea why - I think it originates from my days on a step through frame...
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    pianoleo wrote:
    I can happily freewheel the last 50 yards of my commute, on the way in, so whilst doing so I flip my right leg round the bag and across in such a way that I'm riding side saddle. I then brake and simultaneously jump off the left hand side of the bike as the bike goes up the lip of the curb onto the pavement.

No idea why - I think it originates from my days on a step through frame...

This. For me is the only 'natural' way to dismount. No idea why.
    FCN 7
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I only ever dismount via the medium of the biker fox hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzrIb-HNvzw
    Hat + Beard
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Ah, the fixie dismount, the only way to elegantly dismount a bike! Right hand grips the front of the saddle, left foot unclips, right foot rides the peddle to the top lifting you off the bike and off the back. Stroll nonchalantly forwards wheeling the bike by the saddle without breaking stride.

Bliss. 8)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I do the Brompton step thru, right leg thru, balance on left leg on left pedal, scooter glide style as you slow to walking pace and then continue walk into station foyer.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    hatbeard wrote:

I can only do the biker fox hop on a particular bike. Its the bike thats the difference.

Oh...and making a noise like a polar bear giving itself a hernia is de-rigueur......

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I want to learn to do the Biker Fox Dance. Do you think I can take lessons somewhere because I don't want to look stupid by doing it badly!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I want to learn to do the Biker Fox Dance. Do you think I can take lessons somewhere because I don't want to look stupid by doing it badly!

well...youl need a special bike for it.....i recommend a £50 supermarket full susser, will bull horns.....

oh...and full team lycra....thats the ticket.

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Let's show you that again...
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    What, like this? :shock:

3936681438_95a2a9dfa3.jpg
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    The last spectacular dismount I had was skidding around the corner and into the MOD plod on the gates at HMNB Portsmouth. One ripped uniform and lost cap later I got up and walked into the base as though nothing happened and headed straight to the stores.

Normally I am rather unceremonious when it comes to dismounting in that I usually fall off while stationary :shock:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I had an unscheduled spectacular dismount involving a dog this morning, fortunately it had the good grace to break my fall after stopping my bike. I think I landed on it's head, I now have bruised ribs, thing and slight road rash of the elbow. The bike got off with a bent seat.

And for the pedants, I was wearing a helmet but it served no protective function. However, had the dog turned nasty instead of whimpering away I't would have been a different story.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I had an unscheduled spectacular dismount involving a dog this morning, fortunately it had the good grace to break my fall after stopping my bike.
    A dog brought me to a sudden stop the other week but rather than allowing me to land on it, it bit my leg. :evil:
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    hatbeard wrote:

not like his second attempt I hope ? :shock:
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    hatbeard wrote:

That's the funniest video clip I've seen in ages. I was laughing so hard I literally had tears running down my face.

"Dammit. Turn that sh*t off. I gotta get another bike for this... I said turn that f***ing sh*t off, a**hole!" Classic.