Leader Courses

surreyxc
surreyxc Posts: 293
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Anyone done any research on leader courses. The equivalent in climbing, kayaking etc is pretty obvious i.e. ML, SPA etc.

there seem to be 3 offerings for biking CTC, MIAS, MLBA. Are they much the same, or could you end up taking a dud. Eventually I would aspire to take it right up to over 600m, winter conditions etc.

Not interested in lots of training but the certificates and assessment, the way the ML works i.e. few days training then log book, then assessment for summer then winter - whilst biking is unique, I have done SPA, Kayaking, ML, Navigation and Outdoor first aid, led groups.

how about mechanical courses, same as above.

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    MBLA Trail Cycle leader covers you up to 600m and covers a multitude including bike maintenance and setup. 2 day training with one day of assessment, pretty well recognised as well. If you want to take it further you can then go on and do your Mountain Bike Leader.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Not interested in lots of training but the certificates and assessment,
    Sounds like all you want/need is someone to print/give you a caert without any "training" :roll:
    Sorry but that is how it reads :!:

http://www.cyclewise.co.uk/ Give these guys a call, sure they can answer all you need to know(although your post give the impression you already do)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    stumpyjon wrote:
    MBLA Trail Cycle leader covers you up to 600m and covers a multitude including bike maintenance and setup. 2 day training with one day of assessment, pretty well recognised as well. If you want to take it further you can then go on and do your Mountain Bike Leader.
    Yeah, i've been looking at doing this, i think it would be a really cool thing to have, and means i could earn some money after my degree/during summers doing something i love. I worked it out to cost around £600 to get the mountain bike leader award, after a first aid course and joining the various cycling organisations etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • OP, the SMBLA is a great qualification. I can't comment on the others because obviously I've only done 1!

I went into it with the same attitude as you, just wanted the paper, not needing to learn stuff etc but I can tell you that I learnt lots. There were people there from PE teachers to semi-pro DH'rs and everyone leant something over the course. I would actually recommend it for anyone.

I did mine with Jule Fincham at http://www.cyclewildscotland.co.uk/, in fact that's my comment on his front page, "another world class course"!
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    thanks for the info guys.

As to the comment that I am somehow arrogant and just want the certificate not at all. But there is very little point in paying more than I need to cover old ground, some courses offer weeks of training at £1000s.

When I was younger I did a course and placement as an outdoor instructor and have since then worked as a climbing instructor, and yes mountain biking is a unique discipline, however many of the aspects on group leading, safety, risk assessment, weather conditions and navigation remain true. And in a non professional capacity I have been leading and coaching people in cycling for over a decade. I just wish to formalise this. Granted at an intermediate or advanced level I fully accept there will be new things to learn and refresh. My trials skills could certainly do with some work. :D