Majorca cycle routes

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm off to Pollensa, Majorca for a week's training soon and I'm told there's some great riding.

Does anyone have any routes they'd like to share so that I can upload to my garmin? I'll be needing a variety of routes between 30 and 100 miles, mostly hilly, I'd guess, for my Marmotte training.

Thanks.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    From Pollensa, head along the Ma-10 and head back when you get tired.

The north of the island, essentially along that road from Pollensa to Andratx is montains and the rest of the island is pretty much flat.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I haven't got any Garmin routes but if nobody else replies I can recommend some great places to go. I've been on 5 training camps (staying in Pollenca every time) over the past 7 years, kinda know my way around now.

You MUST ride Sa Calobra.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I seem to remember reading that one of the cycle shops does organised group runs but i can't find it :oops:

In the meantime....

http://www.globalspokes.com/Mallorca/ma ... routes.htm
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    daviesee wrote:
    I seem to remember reading that one of the cycle shops does organised group runs but i can't find it :oops:

In the meantime....

http://www.globalspokes.com/Mallorca/ma ... routes.htm

That would be Bruce at ProCycle Hire. They do a run most days from Tolo's on the seafront.
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Ooh thanks that website looks ace. I will plot some routes out this weekend.

Not sure group rides will work for me as am pretty slow (I can't keep up with 18mph club runs in this country) but may potter along and ask.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    That would be Bruce at ProCycle Hire. They do a run most days from Tolo's on the seafront.

Woudl heartily recommend ProCycleHire, great service and cuts out the hassle of bringing your own bike.

Do a forum search on Majorca / Mallorca there were a couple of good threads in the Road section recently
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Here is a Sa Calobra Route:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/74376798

A short 30 miler to the lighthouse but some good climbing (Forgot to restart the Garmin):

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/74376749

If you want hilly routes, head on any road towards Soller and or any part of the east side of the Island.

There are a few lumps in the middle of the island but it is long flat rides to get to them.

Also, when cycling out there, if you see a wooden signpost with a picture of a bicycle and a town name on it which is on the route you are going, take these roads. These are like wide country lanes over here but lovely smooth roads with very little traffic.

Personally, I preferred cycling in Majorca to the Alps even if the weather was not as good
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Alternatively -

As you have a Garmin, log onto Garmin connect with your Garmin connected.
    Click on Explore -> use Pollensa as "statring near" -> click on "show filters" -> "Activity Type" -> Road Cycling -> "Time" 365 days -> Set your "Custom Distances" -> Search

That will come up with pages of routes 8)

Once you have found a route you think will be okay, click on "Details". If you like the look of it, click on "Send to Device". Sorted
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Livvy,

I am off to Pollensa a week tomorrow for exactly the same reason. If you are there at the same time and want another slow rider to go out on rides with, drop me a pm.

Stuart
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I driven down to Sa Calobra - definitely would be an ace ride. No options other than to mtfu back up once at the bottom!

It's good to go later on. Once the shops are shut, you know nobody will be coming down and only the few cars left at the bottom will be coming back up. Worth stopping overnight at the Monastir de Luc as well. Would fit in well with a late one back from Sa Calobra.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Hi
    I live about 4 miles away in a spanish town just in from the coast, funny enough im in the uk this weekend but spenda all year there. More thsan happy to meet up and point you int he right direction. plenty of amazing routes and i have ridden lots on my garmin 605 and can email you the routes if you tell me how to? pm your email address and if you want sany info or anything give me a shout happy to help wherever I can. The cycling is pretty fasntastic and very busy at the moment with all the holiday cyclists. I can also recommend bruce if your going that route \i know his rides are in the region of 30-40 km and not that quick I dont think ive not been on one yet due to work commitments but will be as soon as i get a free morning on the same day i casn get up there. I do around 200 miles a week there. Drop me an email if you want any pointers.
    jeff