Stans sealant, nails, tyres, safety.....

Chronicbint
Chronicbint Posts: 172
edited April 2011 in MTB general
So, just upgraded to some no tubes ZTR rims and nobby nic evo ust tyres, plus the sealant.

First ride, 4" nail in tyre, pulled it out, hiss, spurt, sealed, rode home, great. 8)

My question is, how safe is the tyre now, is it going to blow out that hole, is it sealed for good, will it still take some punishment or am I supposed to replace it? (at 40 quid a tyre!)

cheers

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    For a big hole like that I'd want to repair it. Use a tubeless repair kit or a tyre boot, or maybe just a couple of patches layered over the hole. After my experiences, I wouldn't trust the tyre not to shart out all the sealant after a big hit.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    hole is around 1.5mm in size from the nail. Will look into a repair kit.....thats going to be messy!!
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    If its sealed, then leave it. My only worry would be if in the side wall. Will be ok in the tread and only a mm across.

Next time you have the tyre off, I would patch the inside maybe - but don't even give it a 2nd thought right now.
  • Cog Head
    Cog Head Posts: 53
    where do i get this tyre sealent from? and can i run it with tubes? if not what do i need to do to be able to run tubeless?
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Google is your friend
  • milfredo
    717d56a3.jpg

My friends recent run in with a nail. The tyre stayed inflated.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    milfredo wrote:
    717d56a3.jpg

My friends recent run in with a nail. The tyre stayed inflated.

Makes me wanna try tubeless now . . .
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    but was it still inflated when you pulled the nail out
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    ive never bothered replacing a punctured tubeles tyre and i have had a few punctures.

i would consider sticking a normal repair patch on the inside of a decent sized puncture for peace of mind.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    I only tend to repair mine when they are in the sidewall, if the puncture is in the main tread of the tire and it is sealed I would just leave it.
    If you are changing the tires over to ride in mud/snow or for some other reason I might patch it but wouldnt go out of my way to do it.
  • milfredo
    mkf wrote:
    but was it still inflated when you pulled the nail out

You are joking right?