How cheeky is this?

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I was on fleabay looking for a mixte and came across this.

Decent enough looking bike, currently a nice price, pity its too far from me to be considered though.

However, check out the frame material?! Were Raleigh ahead of the game in the 80s, is the seller innocent/ignorant of their error or is the seller trying it on?
I'm thinking the latter, but on reading the description, I'm thinking a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    sounds great
    SUPER THIN 28 - 622 (700 X 280) TYRES WITH PRESTA VALVES

That must be a Unique Feature - I should get me some
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    :lol::lol:

Ask if the seller is sure it's made of CF...

That's very, very similar to mine...
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    erm....

you know that 18-23 is a labelled by Raleigh as controlled carbon tubing right?

The full description below is correct....it is a composite...of carbon and steel in a ratio of....yip...you guessed it 18:23....

ok so frame material is not carbon fibre....but that is a fairly honest mistake...when the tubes themselves say...18-23 Carbon on them.

Of course...its really just fairly average steel bike tubing.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • EKE_38BPM
    cee wrote:
    erm....

you know that 18-23 is a labelled by Raleigh as controlled carbon tubing right?

The full description below is correct....it is a composite...of carbon and steel in a ratio of....yip...you guessed it 18:23....

ok so frame material is not carbon fibre....but that is a fairly honest mistake...when the tubes themselves say...18-23 Carbon on them.

Of course...its really just fairly average steel bike tubing.

I'm no metallurgist, but there is no way the ratio of carbon to steel (or iron as I think you actually mean) is anywhere to 18:23.

1:99, maybe 5:95 (or 1:19) if you were making a knife not a bike frame, but I think a ratio of 18:23 would be impossible.

• 18-23 is iron containing:

Carbon 0.18-0.23%
    Silicon 0.035% max
    Manganese 0.4-0.6%
    Phosporus 0.025%max
    Sulphur 0.01%max
    Nitrogen 0.008%max
    Aluminium 0.025-0.06%max

As I understand it 18:23 is bog standard bicycle frame material.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • EKE_38BPM
    18-23 is iron containing:

Carbon 0.18-0.23%
    Silicon 0.035% max
    Manganese 0.4-0.6%
    Phosporus 0.025%max
    Sulphur 0.01%max
    Nitrogen 0.008%max
    Aluminium 0.025-0.06%max

As I understand it 18:23 is bog standard bicycle frame material.

No Finbar, 18-23 steel is actually carbon fibre. The ebay seller says so! It explains why my fixie and LiT's mixte are "light as a feather", OK, ~10kg for my fixie.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:

No Finbar, 18-23 steel is actually carbon fibre. The ebay seller says so! It explains why my fixie and LiT's mixte are "light as a feather", OK, ~10kg for my fixie.

Wow...I did not know that! In that case I have a couple of CF bikes just wasting away in my garden. They are both as light as a 10kg and 20kg weight respectively. Everything's relative......

Just goes to show that everything you read on the internet is true!
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Just goes to show that everything you read on the internet is true!

Yup, EVERYTHING is true. Apart from what you wrote about 18-23 steel not really being carbon fibre, obviously!

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i aint a metallurgist either...
    so..

a bit more digging...

steel is really an iron alloy.

carbon is a common alloying agent...

18-23....is literally....mild steel containing betwenn 0.18% and 0.23% carbon as the alloying agent....

the rest is made of iron and a bunch of other stuff.......depending on the properties required from the end product...

i still don't think its that cheeky.....just typing the neasest thing to what the tube says it is....

As i said....if it says 18-23 Carbon on the frame....its an honest mistake...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Interestingly:

I have a Raleigh Special Products frame built from Reynolds 853 tubing - from the early '90's. Pretty light and beautifully made - my current steed.

However, I have see an few Special Products made from bonded titanium:

see: http://hilarystone.com/frameset.html

He had some weird Raleigh Special Product titanium MTB frames; I think Raleigh have been incredibly diverse over the years....