V brake block bolts seized

David-Witts
David-Witts Posts: 80
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My V brake block bolts have seized. I tried undoing the bolt with the allen key but the soft bolts just deformed. :x ( and no I didn't put them on ).

Any ideas on how to remove them? I guess just hacksawing them off is the only option. Thanks for any pointers.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove arms from bike, soak the joint in a penetrating oil (WD40 is OK but there are better), especially up the inside of the allen slot, leave for a few hours, try again, if all else is lost, cut the bar stewards off.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    My V brake block bolts have seized. I tried undoing the bolt with the allen key but the soft bolts just deformed. :x ( and no I didn't put them on ).

Any ideas on how to remove them? I guess just hacksawing them off is the only option. Thanks for any pointers.

Try removing the whole cantilever arm from the bike, clamp the brake block in a vice and rotate the cantilever arm anti-clockwise. Hopefully the brake block will then unscrew itself from the nut, if you see what I mean.

I'm not sure about soaking the parts in WD40 as you don't really want to degrease the spring/pivots and get oil near the brake shoes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I read it that the OP was going to be fitting new blocks, the rest can be regreased easily enough not that any penetrating oil should get near it as the brake mounting is a good couple of inches away!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi BG2000,

this sounds like a good idea,

thanks to all replies, all ideas appreciated
  • Problem solved, hold brake pads with mull grips and turn anti clockwise. Easy, thanks for the ideas