OT: Android Users

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    davis wrote:

*goes to find Android-capable phones with proper clicky buttons.

Tell me about it, I can't type half as quick as I could with the Blackberry. Fingers crossed I get better!

Swype
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    notsoblue wrote:

Yes it has that pre-installed, haven't looked at it yet. Recommended yeah?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    notsoblue wrote:

definitely - best thing to happen to touchscreen phones since... ummm.... touchscreens.
  • essex-commuter
    notsoblue wrote:

definitely - best thing to happen to touchscreen phones since... ummm.... touchscreens.

OK, will investigate later...Swype here I come!
  • notsoblue wrote:

Swype was the difference between me loathing my Galaxy S and merely disliking it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Swype's good. But the Desire Z has a full slide out QWERTY keyboard.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    notsoblue wrote:

personally I didn't get on with swype, gave it a good go but plumped for SwiftKey.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    here's my list of (mostly free) good apps what I like for android:

Note Everything – notepad
    Astrid – organiser, task list
    Dropbox – 2Gb free storage, useful to transfer files to and from phone & pc or share them
    Astro – file manager, zip and app manager. Explorer for your phone basically
    3g Watchdog – very useful widget for monitoring your internet allowance
    Widgetsoid – make widget bars to switch internet, Bluetooth, apps etc on and off. Good to help save battery & internet use.
    Google Gesture Search – great for finding contacts and bookmarks just draw a letter on screen to find stuff
    Touch Calendar – improved calendar app
    Tune in Radio – radio streaming
    Last FM – last fm app
    Flixster – cinema /movie info
    IMDB – as above
    Windfinder – get live wind and weather from airports and other sites – takes a lot of memory though
    Weather Bug – weather app
    Angry Birds – fling fowl
    Word Up – boggle type word game
    Letter Rip – variation on word up, also good word game
    Word Feud – play scrable against random real people
    Pew Pew - Geometry wars clone
    C:geo – geocaching app
    Locus – nice offline GPS map
    Bike Hub – bike oriented satnav
    iPlayer – iplayer!
    Google Sky Map – identify stars by pointing your camera at them, very cool
    Google Shooper or ShopSavvy – scan barcodes and get a price check
    Chrome to Phone – send links straight from Firefox or Chrome browser to your phone
    PicSay – mini photoshop (better than photoshop express)
    Autodesk Sketchbook – really nice drawing app, just quite hard to draw with your finger…
    My Tracks – GPS tracker, can log runs, bike rides etc and then uploads to googlemaps
    Glympse – lets you send your location to someone else privately so they can follow where you are on a map
    Vlingo – voice to text, better than google voice search but still gets it wrong
    Guardian Anywhere – if you read the guardian then this is great, downloads the newspaper
    Reuters News Pro – good news app
    Pulse – cool looking news reader
    Google Listen – podcast downloader / player
    Twydroyd – twitter app
    Tweetdeck – twitter, facebook, etc in one app
    Google Earth – awesome but eats up your battery
    Street View – plugin for google maps that lets you use street view
    MSN Talk – good MSN / windows live messenger
    WiFi Analyser – measures wifi signal strengths – handy if you’re setting up your wifi at home or want to scan for networks
    GPS Status – shows you where the satellites are and their signal strength - geeky
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    jomoj wrote:
    Bike Hub – bike oriented satnav
    My Tracks – GPS tracker, can log runs, bike rides etc and then uploads to googlemaps
    WiFi Analyser – measures wifi signal strengths – handy if you’re setting up your wifi at home or want to scan for networks
    GPS Status – shows you where the satellites are and their signal strength - geeky

Awesome finds! Installed and loving them :)
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    The keyboard from Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) is available as a separate download, and a great improvement on the standard keyboard. Amongst other things it's got configurable buttons so you can get rid of some of the unnecessary extras, making the remaining buttons bigger and reducing the chance of hitting something you don't want.
    Look for "gingerbread keyboard" on the Market.

I'm sure I was able to type faster on my old k800 than I can on the Desire, but the multitude of other features makes up for this.
    Misguided Idealist
  • essex-commuter

I'm sure I was able to type faster on my old k800 than I can on the Desire, but the multitude of other features makes up for this.

I think you've hit your nail on my head there! :? :D

Played around with Swype and trying the Gingerbread keyboard...didn't know you could delete keys to make the others bigger...sounds interesting.

I've just added NOLED....it uses a screen pixel (moving) as notification for SMS / reminders / missed calls etc. Gutted when I realised the Galaxy didn't have a notification light so chuffed when I found this.

Good thread for me as a new Android user, thanks everyone.
  • this may have already been posted :

android syncs with gmail straight out the box. The first thing you do when you switch on the phone is provide your gmail address and password.

If you are using an exchange server at work then you should also be able to sync to this using Exchange Active Sync. (if the admins allow it)
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    The keyboard from Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) is available as a separate download, and a great improvement on the standard keyboard. Amongst other things it's got configurable buttons so you can get rid of some of the unnecessary extras, making the remaining buttons bigger and reducing the chance of hitting something you don't want.
    Look for "gingerbread keyboard" on the Market.

I've gien Gingerpread a couple of days of power use and gone back to swiftkey. bigger buttons and more functions on press and hold than alt keyboards

the Android 2.3 is better than the 2.2 keyboard by quite a way tho
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    jomoj wrote:

I'm going to upgrade my HTC Desire to Gingerbread (CyanogenMod 7) this weekend using ROM Manager. After installing a 16Gb card I will then start combing this list to see which bits I like!

Thanks for the reccomendations!
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    this may have already been posted :

android syncs with gmail straight out the box. The first thing you do when you switch on the phone is provide your gmail address and password.

If you are using an exchange server at work then you should also be able to sync to this using Exchange Active Sync. (if the admins allow it)

[GeekMode]

They are actually the same thing. Google in order to ensure maximum hand set compatability with g-mail decided to implement the exchange web service protocols for there own mail, contact and calendar sync.

[/GeekMode]
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Yes the protocols used by gmail and exchange active sync are the same but from a phone point of view they are 2 separate entities to set up.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Uninstalled Noled today after a serious battery draining 3 days. Went to bed fully charged and woke up 9 hours later 0n 75% charged. I have found a wireless printing app for the printer but it only prints pictures and PDFs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    unscarred wrote:
    jomoj wrote:

I'm going to upgrade my HTC Desire to Gingerbread (CyanogenMod 7) this weekend using ROM Manager. After installing a 16Gb card I will then start combing this list to see which bits I like!

Running this mod on my Hero. Impressed with it so far! I reckon I'll put it it on my defy in few weeks too ;)
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    nich wrote:
    unscarred wrote:
    jomoj wrote:

Running this mod on my Hero. Impressed with it so far! I reckon I'll put it it on my defy in few weeks too ;)

Well, it's up and running. The only issues I've had so far are with Facebook, and I'm informed that's cos FB have borked their own app.

Can I steer this conversation towards the best widgets? I'm still looking for a replacement for HTC FriendStream, nothing else seems to give a full screen scrollable social networking widget!
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Some news about Google Calender / Outlook 2010 sync:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/g ... il+Blog%29
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    notsoblue wrote:
    Some news about Google Calender / Outlook 2010 sync:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/g ... il+Blog%29

Wahoo! Finally! :D
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    OK. Heresy.

Anyone want to trade a brand spanking new HTC desire HD for an iPhone 4?

My Appleness is struggling to make the transition (plus I've sideload of paid for apps and laboriously uploaded music)

Pm me if you're interested
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    That would be a backward step for the receiver of the iPhone :wink:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You mean SimonAH?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Yes! Help me step backwards! I'm actually considering pulling the auction for my iPhone 3GS. :(
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • essex-commuter
    notsoblue wrote:

Well a few weeks in and I agree... Swype rocks!
  • I am a new Android user and really like it so far. Plus as it seems my new phone is about to become obsolete I'm paying well under half of what I would have for an iSlab!

However, this obsolescence means I can't have 2.3. My question is this - does anyone know anything about the supposed 2.2 release (Frodo??) for the Motorola Defy? Apparently T Mobile users in the US have it but nothing but rumours and conjecture over here.

Cheers
    Si
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I am a new Android user and really like it so far. Plus as it seems my new phone is about to become obsolete I'm paying well under half of what I would have for an iSlab!

However, this obsolescence means I can't have 2.3. My question is this - does anyone know anything about the supposed 2.2 release (Frodo??) for the Motorola Defy? Apparently T Mobile users in the US have it but nothing but rumours and conjecture over here.

Cheers
    Si

2.2 is Froyo. Have a look over here, a few threads about it. You can install it already, you don't have to wait ;) Might well be 2.3 builds for it in future anyway!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    After reading this im typing this using swype gotta say, liking it so far, not quick yet but I think I'll catch up soon. % think the predictions are even better than the standard htc keyboard, which I thought was badass.

thanks guys :D:D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    % not withstanding :oops:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017