RS Reverb sticks halfway down....

sdalby
sdalby Posts: 139
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just fitted my eagerly awaited Reverb seat post and I'm made up with it.

However, when on the bike, the seat post sticks halfway down, but can be pushed past. Then when it comes back up again, it sticks in the same place.

I'm assuming it is where the end of the post inside passes the seat clamp, but the problem is, the seat clamp doesn't feel very tight at all. The seat clamp is obviously squashing the outside of the post, but I don't think there is anything I can do about it. As it is, I'd imagine that the seat post will slip under proper riding conditions.

Any ideas?
Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    try it a shade looser. Have you bled it up properly?
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    The seatclamp only needs to be tightened to 6.7nm so you could be overdoing.
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    2.8 Nm is the recommendation for my seatclamp
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    "Tight enough but not too tight" is the recommendation for all seatclamps. But most people overtighten as a matter of course. Try it with less, you might be surprised.

But most issues with Reverbs seem to be down to needing bled? So do that too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sdalby
    sdalby Posts: 139
    I had read about most reverbs needing bleeding from new, but mine works perfectly off the bike, and it works perfectly on the bike, with the seat clamp open. But when the seat clamp is tightened, even only to biting point, then the seatpost starts sticking. It seems as though the outer tubing isn't strong enough to hold it's radial form when there is any force on the outside of it.
    Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!
  • mike23864
    mike23864 Posts: 54
    I too had the same problem. Loosening the seat post clamp quite significantly (i can close it with one finger) and using assembly paste has solved it. Done many mile without it slipping