FD Differences

natf
natf Posts: 12
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all,

I've just picked up a new bike and it's shipped with a different FD from the advertised one. It should have had an SLX FD-M660-10 and it's actually got an SLX FD-M661-10. Only difference is, the first is a top swing and the second is a down swing.

Oh and It also clamps further up the frame, in between the two mount lugs, covering some of the graphics

Possibly related, but I also seem to have slack in the cable when on the granny ring?

So apart from aesthetics, is there any point me asking the shop to swap it for the advertised M660-10 or should I just stick with it?

Thanks in advance!

Nat.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will not get anywhere. specs can and do change.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    slack will be an indexing issue if it is affecting performance. If it works, just leave it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is the difference between top and bottom swing - where the band clamps. There is little difference in actual performance, though the bottom swing is theoreticallt stronger.

The cable slack is not associated, you need to set the derailer up correctly.
  • natf
    natf Posts: 12
    Thanks for the rapid reply's.

Yeah, I understand that spec's change and in all honesty after reading the comments I will probably just stick with it.

As for the cable slack, if it's nothing to do with the FD change, then that does need sorting out as the bike is brand new. But if shifting is not affected then I'll most probably leave it until the first service in a couple of months and have it addressed then.

Obviously it'll be going back asap if it doesn't shift perfectly.

Thanks again! I'll get out and ride the thing now, as opposed to worrying over specifications.

Cheers,

Nat.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it shifts fine, the cable's ok, if not adjust it.
    Indexing is routine and certainly not something that needs to go into a shop. Cables stretch.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools