changing spokes

fredy
fredy Posts: 308
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, i have a few loose spokes that probably need changing. Normally when i true a wheel i do it by ear but i have never had to replace a spoke before and i would asume that different branded spokes would have a different pitch at the same tension as the orignal spokes.
Is this really the case? and if so what other methods are there to true a wheel with out a trueing stand? i do have an old bike with v brakes that i am thinking of using as a make shift stand, could this work?

Finally i don't really know anything about spokes and so i am going to go with superstar. Are the recommended? I'm changing cassette too, to a sram pg970 to replace what came stock with my carrera fury 09. Its all i can afford at the moment but if it's considered to be a false economy then i will wait until i have some more money. Are they any good?

thanks fredy.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if lose just tighten them.

no need to replace them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fredy
    Cheers, they are a bit bent as well. Could i still get away with just tightening them?
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    They wouldn't really be bent if they were tight. If you tighten them and they snap, you need new ones.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I usually end up bending a spoke when putting it in a built wheel, putting them under tension and they straighten nicely!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    what do you mean by a bit bent?

if they have sharp angles caused by some sort of damage, then you could remove and strightern out the kink not really recommended but ..... If a smooth bend then that would be becasue they are not under tension so tightening up would fix that.
  • fredy
    ok, thanks for the help!
  • fredy
    Well i tightened the spokes and all is well now thank you!

However, i have just changed my cassette and re-greased the bearings but i have now noticed some play in the freehub. I'm wondering just how much play could be considered normal. I dont want to replace it, i just cleaned it all out!
  • fredy
    Ah, just discovered a metal washer/spacer that should be in there somewhere. Oops.