OT Xbox Live payments

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
kinda bit of a rant this.....i signed up to xbox live last year after being bought a 12month membership (i know im spoilt) anyways when the 12month thingy ran out i paid for a month on my card, its only £5.99 cutting a long story short i aint played online since about january this year didnt think anythign of it

just been looking at my bank statments, Xbox have been taking payments every month since janaury!! not a direct debit but an automatic renewal, i coudlnt find anyways of taking this off on my log on so had to phone their support number.

the guy there said yeah you cant turn it off, we need to do it.

i only wanted to pay for a month!!

is it me or is that a bit naughty???
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• That is exactly why I only buy Xbox Live with pre-paid scratch cards with the codes on the back. I've heard that once MS have your card details it's an absolute ballache to get them to stop charging you.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a great service for what it is, and I always buy 12 month memberships. But they are devious bastards once they have your details.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Bill Gates aint one of the richest men in the world for nowt you know!
  • mudcow007
    grrr Microshaft

when i spoke to the guy he said there is another payment pending on your account to come out on the 26th of April, i told him my xbox is currently living in my wardrobe gathering dust!!

he said there was nothing that can be done

bad times
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    not unlike any other subscription service though is it?

I bought a 3 month lovefilm gift voucher for my sister....when she registered...guess what...needed debit card details, and I have to now remember to cancel the thing after 3 months or will continue to pay.

I bought a years magazine subscription. Paid upfront for the first year...then...guess what....automatic renewel every 6 months after that..i enjoy the magazone, so don't actually mind.

Thats how these services make their money...its easy to sign up and a low recurring cost, so people just leave it whether they actually use the service or not.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Rigga
    Cant you call your cc company up and get them to block the payments?
  • mudcow007
    i feel abit bad to be honest moaning about £6 to be honest but its the sheer naughyness of the autorenewal thing
    cee wrote:
    I bought a 3 month lovefilm gift voucher for my sister....when she registered...guess what...needed debit card details, and I have to now remember to cancel the thing after 3 months or will continue to pay.

ahhh ive never really thought about the whole credit card, i just thought was to prove you were an adult ha!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Did you read the small print?
    I've heard that once MS have your card details it's an absolute ballache to get them to stop charging you.

They're fine actually, you can just phone them up.

I had the same thing with Lovefilm. I signed up to a 3 months free trial. After 2 months and 3 weeks I phoned them up and cancelled as I wasn't using it. It got cancelled. Sure they asked if they could do anything to keep me etc, but when I told them I wasn't using it so any price was too much they just stopped trying and politely cancelled it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Rigga wrote:
    Cant you call your cc company up and get them to block the payments?

It's a recurring payment on a card; the bank / credit card company can't do anything. I used to work for Abbey national when i was a student and the only advice we could give people wanting to cancel an AOL subscription was to report their card stolen.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    There was something about this on Radio 4 the other day. The AA is particularly guilty of this.

One bloke even resorted to cancelling his CC but the CC company still paid the AA and then charged the bloke anyway.

Contact your MP as the is something making its way through the HoP soon.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'd hit the roof and this is why I always avoid these types of subscriptions.

I subscribe monthly to Star Trek Online but that's ongong and you can cancel online via your account so seems reasonable.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rigga
    I subscribe monthly to Star Trek Online

Come again lol?
  • EKE_38BPM
    Rigga wrote:
    I subscribe monthly to Star Trek Online

Come again lol?

He keeps saying things like that. We tolerate him for the comedy he provides.

• DonDaddyD
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I really need to cancel my XBox live subscription. I haven't played it for aaaaaages.

How do I do it? Can I do it through the XBox?

Another game is taking up all my gaming time
  • DonDaddyD

What game is that?
    Food Chain number = 4

• mudcow007
    I really need to cancel my XBox live subscription. I haven't played it for aaaaaages.

How do I do it? Can I do it through the XBox?

phone this number 0800 587 1102

:)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What game is that?

The game.

As in dealing drugs.
  • EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What game is that?

The game.

As in dealing drugs.

When someone says they are "On the Game" they are selling something, but it ain't drugs!

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What game is that?

The game.

As in dealing drugs.

When someone says they are "On the Game" they are selling something, but it ain't drugs!

I suggest less "Diary of a call girl" and more "The Wire" in your viewing diet.
  • lost_in_thought
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What game is that?

Rhymes with doorcraft.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What game is that?

Rhymes with doorcraft.

I'm not sure that it highlights good or poor willpower that I've never played it.
    I know if I did I'd get addicted, so I've never started.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What game is that?

The game.

As in dealing drugs.

I suggest less "Diary of a call girl" and more "The Wire" in your viewing diet.

I've seen a few episodes of Diary but watched all of The Wire and the first two series twice (my ex hadn't seen it so we watched it together).

I see where you're coming from though. As Omar said:"Its all in the game, yo."

• DonDaddyD
    I think if LiTs was on the game it would mostly be for pleasure not money. But then given her circles she'd be high class and so probably would be for money. Fair play to her and those that choose to be, manage to maintain a marriage (and not lie to the hubby), raise children and keep a home.

What I travel through Liverpool street and sometimes ride through Aldgate the City has opened my eyes to the Great British underworld.
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What game is that?

Rhymes with doorcraft.

WoW, any good? I hear mixed reviews. Do you play with ilPrincipe?

Starwars Old Republic is due and that's supposed to be amazing and Rift, which is more like WoW and Elder Scrolls.

Oh and given your love of Lego Batman and Lego Universe may interest you.
    Food Chain number = 4

• lost_in_thought
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What game is that?

Rhymes with doorcraft.

WoW, any good? I hear mixed reviews. Do you play with ilPrincipe?

Starwars Old Republic is due and that's supposed to be amazing and Rift, which is more like WoW and Elder Scrolls.

Oh and given your love of Lego Batman and Lego Universe may interest you.

I really only have room in my life for one MMORPG.

For me it's the social side that's as much fun as the gameplay - I play it a bunch of my mates from the pub, and a fair few others. Because of that, other games are going to have a hard time keeping up!

In summary, the levelling = tiresome, endgame = great. But that's true of most of these, I'd imagine.
  • DonDaddyD

I really only have room in my life for one MMORPG.

For me it's the social side that's as much fun as the gameplay - I play it a bunch of my mates from the pub, and a fair few others. Because of that, other games are going to have a hard time keeping up!

In summary, the levelling = tiresome, endgame = great. But that's true of most of these, I'd imagine.

Yep it's true of all MMORPG, well certainly Star Trek.
    Food Chain number = 4