Help needed inside for first time biker

Mike jd
Mike jd Posts: 6
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Hi All

I am looking at buying a bike to commuting to work. I can commute via the local cycle track or by road!

My budget is £300 unless i can go on 0% finance then I will spend up to £500!

I dont mind last years stock or even the year before! just want the best for my money...

Any companies that offer 0% over 12months would be great if you know....

I hope someone can help me select a first bike for me :)

MJD :D

Comments

• mrobbie
    mrobbie Posts: 64
    Evans Cycles offer 0% for 12 months on bikes over £550

http://www.evanscycles.com/help/finance

You could also investigate your employers cycle to work scheme and save a bit on the cost of the bike.

eg Specialized Sirus @ £349 works out costing you around £15 per month + a potential purchase payment after 12 months of around £60 (total cost after 12 months approx £240)
    Quite addicted to cycling now....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To suggest a bike to you, we need more info....

How far will you be commuting, do you prefer flat bars or dropped (aka racing bike as they used to be called, as bad a misnomer as road bike which is what they are called now), do you see youself as a pootler, riding along taking it easy, or one of those in a mad rush peddling flat out?

Does your company operate a cycle to work scheme at all?

Oh and Welcome!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mike jd
    Thanks both for your replies,

I can see myself using the bike at weekends as well as work. All round work trip is 4 miles.
    Pub runs at the weekends with the dog etc....

I wont be going mad mad but i might ride through the mud now and then.

I like the idea of a mountain bike with front shocks. A friend has a Kona 2010 Fire Mountain
    which i liek the look off so maybe something like that but newer.

I just want the best product for my money as this will be a one of purchase..

Work are yet to look into the cycle to work information
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    £500 looks a bit OTT for the cycling you have in mind; I'd have said a Carrerra Subway might fit your bill currently reduced from £370 to £215
  • The Rookie
    Front suspension adds a lot of weight (typically 10%) to a bike, so don't get it unless you really want (need?) it, for what you describe a wider tyres hybrid sounds fine, maybe look at this.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534 (I've linked to a medium size)
    Tough as old boots, wider tyres, can be taken off road and good value for money, my daughter even used her BF's for some laps of the local 4x track.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mike jd
    Im happy to spend £500...

I would rather something more mountain bike like than the above... My local track isnt that smooth which is why i stated someting like the Kona would be perfect!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Just FYI, plenty of people ride 'rigid' mountain bikes. Suspension is for absorbing big hits and keeping traction during corners, on a lot of cheaper bikes it's unnecessary weight.

For what you describe I think the subway recommendation is excellent.

But....if you really want to spend more money, then the Carrera Fury is the best ~£500 MTB, not that I think you should buy an MTB for this, but if you're going to get one you might as well get the best one :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    Well the fire mountain can be had for £424 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... query=kona fire

But for a lot less the Carrera has the same forks and brakes....
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Simon
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    I picked up a 2009 Kona Cindercone in 2010 for £450 which was a big drop from the £700 list price - sale bikes are a good option for getting value/money

I commute 3 miles each way on the Cindercone and enjoy the ruggedness it affords, having previously ridden the same route on a Trek hybrid.

I have a rigid fork waiting to fit, but so far the extra weight and the knobbly tires have simply added resistance to the ride and potentially sped up the fitness/weight loss (1st in the first month or so!)

I had a lengthy lay off from Dec-now due to an injury, but back on it with knobblies again now.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Mike jd
    Thanks for all the help! only thing with the more road style bike is i become restricted if i do want to go out in the winter mud!

Im looking at the Konas and like what you get and the look!

Any other companies like Kona?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    you sound like you've already decided on a mountain bike so can't help. but might I suggest a bit of an open mind on this. think really how much mud plugging & tree root bouncing you will be doing and how much road orrelatively smooth trail. I've ridden an urban centric hybrid & cyclo cross throughout the last 2 winters with several inches of snow, through claggy mud, across quite deep fords etc. Other bikes are perfectly capable of what you describe and far lighter & quicker on the smoother stuff. If you like it you will find in 6 months you're upping the miles and looking for more exotic rides. Do you think if this happens it will be parkland, roads & trails you'll be riding or will you be heading for darkest Wales in full body armour to scramble up and down mountains.

suspension for what you describe is best done by flexible knees and elbows, you may as well stick a couple of housebricks in your pockets as have a heavy old front fork.

also you'll find for commuting that eventually a backpack gets to be a sweaty pain in the back(side) and you'll start to consider a rack pack or panniers for lugging work stuff to and fro. Not impossible but more difficult to accomplish on a MTB and it'll look like Frankensteins monster. Also for winter commuting you'll come round to the idea of mudguards to protect you and the components. again better suited to a 700c wheel and non sus bikes. Crud catchers don't work nearly as well.

if it is a one off purchase, then you will find a MTB just as limiting to your future choices as would be a skinny wheeled racing machine.
  • Mike jd
    Thanks for that read !

I havnt made up my mind I just need to read things like that which will help me change my mind!

All my friends have mountain bikes and often go on pub runs etc... this is what i thought would be best for me.

I am all ears or i wouldnt have posted for help!
  • 2 other considerations for you:

1 - Buy a £300/400 mountain bike and a second set of wheels to make it easy to change between slicks and nobblies. Makes your regular commute considerably nicer and opens the options for weekend thrills.
    2 - Buy 2 bikes? I just picked up a decent Trek hybrid for £140 only 2 years old (£500 new) and I am sure one of these cracking forum regulars will throw stuff at you in the classifieds. They might have a reasonable offer or two on a MB as well? I picked mine up on Gumtree as I went full suss on my MB and that is just not reasonable for commute even with tyre changes.

Happy riding!