Gears

Mich
Mich Posts: 83
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i FINALLY got a new bike so i'm able to get rid of my old worn out giant!
I got a Salcano assos cause i had to lower my budget for a holiday which i've just paid for.

Now my question is; I currently have 24 gears, Is it actually possible to get this bike to have 27gears if i was to buy all the right parts to replace?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it should be.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited April 2011
    You would need a new cassette, shifter and chain.
    I wouldn't bother, 8 is fine and the extra gear is not worth the expense IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mich
    Is it not?
    I was just curious as my friend who i bike to work with has 27 gears, And on the flats and downhill he's pulling away quite abit and i have to pedal alot harder and faster to keep up, I don't mind doing this cause it's not exactly hard, But if i could make it easier then that would be great! (i'm working on my fitness which i know will help alot as well)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    generally the small cog is the same 11T and the big ring is normally a 44T (some times 42T) the "extra" gear just makes the ratio closer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mich
    Sorry, 11T and 44T? (new to all this lol)
  • thepha5e
    thepha5e Posts: 118
    11T just means 11 teeth on the cog, and 44T=44 teeth on the chainring

you'll soon learn all this terminology, when i first started mtbing properly, i was like what language are they speaking? I'm sure you'll pick it up soon enough
    Hardcore hardtail:
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12830105

And a single speed commuter bike:
    viewtopic.php?t=12787405
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Possibly he's just riding in a higher gear and so pedalling slower than you. Doesn't mean it's easier.
    Some people push high gears, some spin in lower gears.
    If you are keeping up I wouldn't worry about it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools