commuting on a unicycle - does it save tyres?

davmaggs
davmaggs Posts: 1,008
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Spotted a bloke comutting on a unicycle today . Obviously he's all over track standing, but thinking about it as I continued on I realised that he must saves on tyres and parking space.

Can I fit panniers to a unicycle?

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Potholes can be a sod though.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    From my brief foray of research into the subject of unicycling (having deciding learning to ride one would be my new years resolution) it should in theory be doable as they make touring unicycles and some guys even race them down hills!! Generally for longer rides you want a larger wheel to give you a higher GI (for want of a better term) as each pedal revolution is 1 turn of the wheel so small wheels = great for small circus stages, not so good for long rides :-)

24" wheel is good as a starter for popping down the shops apparently....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Unless you're good about rotating the tyre, the wear on the points about which you idle suffer from wear at a horrific rate.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Generally for longer rides you want a larger wheel to give you a higher GI (for want of a better term) as each pedal revolution is 1 turn of the wheel so small wheels = great for small circus stages, not so good for long rides :-)

Gear Inches is based on Penny Farthings, but can equally apply to unicycles. My fixie has a GI of 73" and that is equivlalent of a Penny Farthing drive wheel or unicycle wheel of 73" diameter.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    You could probably install a fixed hub gears to it to help with the gearing.
  • Not just on tyres. Think of the saving in brake blocks, handlebar tape, er handlebars etc.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I see a guy on a unicycle at hyde park corner sometimes, he really should have some balls... to juggle as well.

Illegal to ride on the public carriageway BTW, I understand cycles must have at least one brake to be road legal.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    prj45 wrote:
    Illegal to ride on the public carriageway BTW, I understand cycles must have at least one brake to be road legal.

Assuming the primary brake is the rider not pedaling/resisting the turning of the cranks like on a fixie, wear a parachute as your secondary braking device. Air brake, ennit.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    You can buy a unicycle with a brake, lever is under the seat. I do believe it's known as a muni, as in mountain unicycle.
    I have a unicycle, birthday present from my Dad a while back. It's impossible, I don't have the balance or coordination. I reckon my 12 year old son will crack it soon, the foolhardiness of youth.
  • ndru
    One question - if you brake suddenly - using that brake you mentioned- on a unicycle - what happens to your face.
  • ndru wrote:
    One question - if you brake suddenly - using that brake you mentioned- on a unicycle - what happens to your face.
    It too acts like a brake, well more of an anchor really.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    tandem Unicycle anyone !!!!!??????????
  • ndru
    ndru wrote:
    It too acts like a brake, well more of an anchor really.

In this case, to answer OP - while you might save on tyres, you'll probably spend much more at your dentist's.
  • veronese68
    I do not in any way condone the use of a unicycle with a brake. I too thought it ridiculous and asking for a face plant. I stumbled across it whilst searching for tips on how to ride the impossible thing and came to the conclusion that some people aretruly insane.
  • prj45
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I do not in any way condone the use of a unicycle with a brake. I too thought it ridiculous and asking for a face plant. I stumbled across it whilst searching for tips on how to ride the impossible thing and came to the conclusion that some people aretruly insane.

Probably just there to make it road legal.

You'd be an utter nut job to touch it though!

*prj45 expects a unicyclist to now give a detailed breakdown of exactly how you can brake the wheel whilst remaining upright*
  • Aidy
    prj45 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Probably just there to make it road legal.

You'd be an utter nut job to touch it though!

*prj45 expects a unicyclist to now give a detailed breakdown of exactly how you can brake the wheel whilst remaining upright*

Brake for reducing the pressure on your legs whilst slowing down, same as for fixies.

You aren't supposed to lock the wheel under braking on a unicycle or on a bike. That's not an effective method of stopping.
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    that's brilliant, imagine commuting on one though. there were a few 36" ones on you tube and some rough offroad looks fun
  • Aidy
    that's brilliant, imagine commuting on one though. there were a few 36" ones on you tube and some rough offroad looks fun

They come geared as well :)
  • tptvmbircn
    Aidy wrote:

I must get one of those for work!
  • veronese68
    I'm just jealous because I can't ride one. I blame myself for being lanky and a bit crap.
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    edited April 2011
    Double post - missed the point...
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Aidy wrote:

..and powered apparently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdhw-MnbbHA&NR=1

...which seems to miss the point somehow. Surely it's the standing still thing that's the draw. Plus the guy drives a Prius. A talent for missing the point then; some have made careers out of less.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • tptvmbircn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHkb7ZR57Ws is a bit crazy ha :shock:
  • prj45

Love the way he changes gears, very practical!
  • Aidy
    ...which seems to miss the point somehow. Surely it's the standing still thing that's the draw. Plus the guy drives a Prius. A talent for missing the point then; some have made careers out of less.

I don't see why the point of a wheeled thing is to not go anywhere...

You can trackstand a bike too, but I'd hardly say that's the whole point.