Rebuilt my Kona Stuff '08,a few queries

puure
puure Posts: 4
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey there,

I recently rebuilt my kona stuff 2008 model and installed a set of double crown forks (yes, double crowners!) and i put all the spacers, bearings and nick nack in and tightened it all up and when i checked them there was a considerable wobble? as if the steerer was too small? so i took them off and tried my old forks... the same problem! does this mean i have misplaced something? or installed them incorrectly?

Also once i had put the wire to the rear derreliuer the changer would only select 1-4 gear's and not 1-8? but even when i changed gear between 1 and 4 it would stay in 8th gear?

can anyone shed any light on this?

cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes read parktools.

you will have missed out some part. like a crown race or some spacers or locating wedges.

what forks were they?

Read Parktools on how to set up gears. also this is presuming that the parts are compatible.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • puure
    cheers for the reply,

the previous forks were the standard dirt jumpers, and i'm sure the double crown ones are Marazochi Bombers from 2005/2006? unsure tbh!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all Marzocchi forks are Bombers.

and TBH there and no Marz triple from that time or earlier that are suitable for a frame designed around a 100mm dirt fork.

i would sell them on and get something suitable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • puure
    I only have them because my old ones seized up and i didnt have the money for new forks.

currently looking at some Marzocchi Bomber 44 TST2 so hopefully they are better!
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    did you take the lower crown race off the old forks and swap it over?