checkMEND checks on goods- do they actually work?

cyclingpast
cyclingpast Posts: 111
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I just checked the mountain bike I bought second hand recently on the checkMEND website for a bit of peace of mind using the frame number (didn't think it was stolen anyway but you can never be sure) and the result came back as there being no trace of it being stolen, lost, already registered on immobilise etc...

So I thought good, I'm happy with that.

However, just to check the system, I put the frame number of my Giant Defy 3 through it, to make sure it did come up as being registered on immobilise. When the result came back, there was no trace, which is seriously worrying. Does anyone know if when you register things on immobilise the frame number has to be exactly the same as a search on checkMEND, including upper/lower case etc? When I put the frame numbers in on checkMEND it put them automatically into lower case, whereas my bike is registered on immobilise in upper case. I'd be very concerned if checks had to be this exact, or there may be checks on second hand stolen bikes that pass by as clean when they're actually not. Is checkMEND a pointless waste of time which just gobbles up £2 of your money whenever you use it?
Giant Defy 3
FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    ...Is checkMEND a pointless waste of time which just gobbles up £2 of your money whenever you use it?

I'd have hoped not, but it probably is given your experience.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    My bike was stolen, then advertised on Ebay stating it had a checkMEND certificate. I had a hell of a job convincing the police it was my stolen bike because the seller had a certificate. The certificate had an incorrect frame number on it, an 8 had been substituted by a 3. I did get the bike back eventually. The certificate was worthless to all but the vendor who was using it in an attempt to pass off stolen goods as legitimate.
    So if you ever buy something with a similar certificate "verifying" the goods are not stolen check the numbers match very carefully as frame numbers are not particularly well stamped and confusing an 8 with a 3 is easily done.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    You may have to report the bike stolen for it to then appear on the search.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    I had, you do. But if the information on the certificate has been put down wrong by 1 digit it doesn't help. Wether he did it wrong on purpose to make it look legitimate or because he's an illiterate thieving little scrote I couldn't tell you.