Single Speed Jump Bike

OllieTheWelder
OllieTheWelder Posts: 68
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have stripped down my bike ready for being rebuilt and instead of gears I would prefer single speed as less can go wrong ans easier maintenance etc.. Now I understand bmx gearing ratios but I dont know what would be the best cassette for me. Please could you tell me what tooth would be best for casual dirt jumping and riding round town.

Thanks, Ollie.
DMR Trailstar

Comments

• sponsoryu
    sponsoryu Posts: 66
    Hi, I have stripped down my bike ready for being rebuilt and instead of gears I would prefer single speed as less can go wrong ans easier maintenance etc.. Now I understand bmx gearing ratios but I dont know what would be the best cassette for me. Please could you tell me what tooth would be best for casual dirt jumping and riding round town.

Thanks, Ollie.

On my jump I have 35 17 which for skate parks and tracks is epic - but it's way to easy for me, I can't bike to a friends house without getting bored of pedalling my ass off.

I'm going down to 35 14 which should be a better ratio for casual riding and jumping.

I just can't find anyone selling sprockets that fit converted bikes aha
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    For general off road XC you use a 2:1 ratio, like 32:16, which tops out at around 15mph.

I reckon 32:13 would be a good ratio for DJ type stuff.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Thanks guys, I mainly will be using for getting to school on everyday so I don't want it to easy.
    DMR Trailstar
  • sponsoryu
    sponsoryu Posts: 66
    Thanks guys, I mainly will be using for getting to school on everyday so I don't want it to easy.
    Yeah I'd go 35 13||14 or something to that ratio.