Some advice for someone with little road bike experience.

2»

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    OK, see, now you've got me scratching my head.

Should I go compact, or as ITB prefers, go standard up front and a 13-26 at the back.

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so they say!!!! :)

Cheers for all the comments thus far, chaps.

FJ

Erm, are you sure ITB is a good role model to base your selection on? Check out some of the ridiculous mileages he does on the Silly Commuter Stats thread.
  • kelsen wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Should I go compact, or as ITB prefers, go standard up front and a 13-26 at the back.

FJ

Erm, are you sure ITB is a good role model to base your selection on? Check out some of the ridiculous mileages he does on the Silly Commuter Stats thread.

And the number of times he has dreadful knee injuries... That said, I ride a standard double too, and I can't see myself going to a compact; I reckon if I'd had a compact first time round though, I wouldn't see myself going to s standard.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    kelsen wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

FJ

Yeah, and we all know why that is!!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FoldingJoe wrote:

FJ

Compact.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    Compact = the Devil's work [/baseless prejudice]
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    Compact = the Devil's work [/sea-level prejudice]

FTFY
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    Old skool 52/42 on my Giant. Never ridden anything else and when I lived in Bristol it was fine for the hills there and up and down the Cotswold escarpment. On a recent trip to Bath, 42 x 25 got me up both sides of Lansdowne without too much trouble.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    rjsterry wrote:
    Old skool 52/42 on my Giant. Never ridden anything else and when I lived in Bristol it was fine for the hills there and up and down the Cotswold escarpment. On a recent trip to Bath, 42 x 25 got me up both sides of Lansdowne without too much trouble.

Ah, but the OP is 16st, whereas you need a good meal. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Compact / Double - What's the difference?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cjcp
    Sketchley wrote:

Compact is smaller: e.g. 50/34 or 50/46 combo (can be different for cross bikes e.g. 46/36), whereas a standard double is 53/39 (or 52/39).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:

I don't think I'm too bad at climbing but there is no way I'd run 42 - 25 as my lowest gear in West Yorkshire; it would be bonkers. It's not about getting up both sides of Lansdowne but how many times you can get up and down Lansdowne!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I don't think I'm too bad at climbing but there is no way I'd run 42 - 25 as my lowest gear in West Yorkshire; it would be bonkers. It's not about getting up both sides of Lansdowne but how many times you can get up and down Lansdowne!
    Yep, fatigue plays a major factor.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cjcp wrote:
    Compact is smaller: e.g. 50/34 or 50/46 combo (can be different for cross bikes e.g. 46/36), whereas a standard double is 53/39 (or 52/39).

I hope you mean 50/34 or 50/36 combo - I'd want my money back if someone sold me a 50/46 compact! :shock:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    Rolf F wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I hope you mean 50/34 or 50/36 combo - I'd want my money back if someone sold me a 50/46 compact! :shock:

Quite correct - just spotted that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Ah, but the OP is 16st, whereas you need a good meal. :P

Fair point, forgot that bit.:oops:

@Sketchley

Old skool double - 52/42T
    Standard double - 53/39T
    Compact double - 50/34T
    Triple - 50/40/30T or 52/39/30T

@Rolf F: Again fair comment if you are always climbing. When I lived in Bristol and Cardiff, most of my riding was hilly to some extent, although not West Yorks, but that was weekend rides, not commuting, so the mileage was a lot lower and I always had fresh legs.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• sketchley
    cjcp wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

My Hybrid is 50/39/30 and 11-28

When I buy a road bike what should I put on it?
    --
    Chris

• mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Sketchley wrote:

How much do you use the 30 ring? If its a lot then you might want to consider the compact with the same range on the back as the hybrid.

If you go for standard 53/39 double the road bike lowest gear will be pretty similar to the middle ring/largest cog combo on your hybrid. If you go for a compact your lowest gear will be somewhere between the middle ring, largest cog & the small ring/largest cog combo's on your hybrid.
  • sketchley
    mudcovered wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

How much do you use the 30 ring? If its a lot then you might want to consider the compact with the same range on the back as the hybrid.

If you go for standard 53/39 double the road bike lowest gear will be pretty similar to the middle ring/largest cog combo on your hybrid. If you go for a compact your lowest gear will be somewhere between the middle ring, largest cog & the small ring/largest cog combo's on your hybrid.

Rarely, Dark Hill (about 4 gears from lowest) and Bloomfield Hill (2 from lowest).
    --
    Chris